Wow, MS really hit a home run w/ XBox Live

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I don't think it could have been any easier to set up!
    Total time to remove my old router, install and configure the new WAP/router, install and configure the WET11 and register on XBL - under 1 hour.
    Played my first online game of MechAssault, I got drilled but it was a learning experience. The headphone setup is sweet, using USB for controller ports was a smart design.
    Between XBL being so strong and standalone games like Splinter Cell, MS is really turning it up..[​IMG]

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Yeah I was really surprised with Live and the ease of setup. I was really skeptical too but when I got the beta kit, I hooked up the Xbox to my router, did zero configuration of either and was online in 10 minutes. The hardest and longest part was entering in all of that info using the controller. [​IMG]
    I did notice that some game developers have some things to learn about how to make their games really user friendly on Live. For example, mechassault kicks you completely out after a game instead of to a lobby to play again. Hopefully these things can be fixed by simple updates. Otherwise great so far.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

4. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

If only MS would release a compatible keyboard and mouse - all those FPS and registering for LIVE would be even more of a snap.

5. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

If they released a keyboard though they wouldn't be able to say its a console and not a pc. Although I think it would be great.

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

The Dreamcast had a keyboard and mouse option. I still classified it as a console. (Even though I did surf with it once and a while)[​IMG]

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It is a PC though isn't it? [​IMG]
    Seriously, I am greatly impressed by Live so far. MA could use some tweaking, but the lag in game is the consistently the lowest I have ever seen in a game and the voice communication is like icing on the cake. I just wish Battlefield 1942 was out for Xbox Live! so I could throw a plastic sheet over my PC and let it conmcentrate on email and printing.
    Great job MS!

8. Michael St. Clair

A keyboard adaptor is shipping around the same time as Phantasy Star Online. Additional developer support remains to be seen.

You can use a keyboard with a PS2. Is it a PC?

9. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

10. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I can't wait to get XBL...I just don't know which hook up option I should choose. Wireless, good old Cat5 (with a very long run) or maybe even Homeplug? Anyone with success stories on the Homeplug technology?

11. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I wasn't saying that I thought it would be a console. I just meant it seems like MS has tried so hard to fight the PC image with the xbox. Having a keyboard and mouse might weaken that position.

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

NO
    NO
    NO
    A thousand times no!
    [​IMG]
    Look, I've seen how you PC gamers play FPS with the keyboard & mouse. You would annilhate any & all people using a regular controller. I just don't think that is fair - & I hope that MS never,ever puts support of that into the box.
    (well, at least for FPS games)

14. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

15. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Agree on the kbd/mouse issue although if they did release one I would buy it immediately[​IMG]
    What I'm curious about is what do we have in store for us in the near and far future? What games are coming out between now and xmas that have full Live? How about next year? I really haven't seen any list other than the one at xbox.com/live and I think there is only one addition, SNK 2 fighter something. Oh and some sega sports games, sorry
    Is there a release list somewhere out there with true live games?

16. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I just got my live kit hooked up. I was really not planning on buying it (havent even played xbox much in the last month or 2), but I got it on impulse at best buy.

Just finished my first game of NFL 2k3 and am really glad I bought it. It is so much better playing against a person than the CPU. I was actually able to get a few sacks. I was down 21-7 and came back to win 28-21, game came down to the wire. No real lag to speak of (although I did get a "divergence" error once and had to restart the game).

Voice chat worked fine also, but we really didnt chat much once the game started.

I have been playing online PC games since they were invented, didnt think online console gaming was gonna interest me, but I think I was very wrong.

JP

17. Curtis H

Curtis H Extra

i'm actually somewhat disappointed in xbox live. i played a lot of PS2 socom and i was getting pissed with the lag and drops. in comparison i beta tested xbox live and motogp played great with 16 players + continuous chat. i had really high expectations for xbox live with all the previews talking about unreal being able to support 16 players simultaneously and of course the beta experience gave me high hopes. live finally officially launches and unreal is horribly laggy with more than 4-5 players in deathmatch unless someone sets up his xbox to be a server. a lot of the games i try to join are preceded with a comment like "gaming conditions may not be optimal". this is ridiculous as the PC version of Unreal Tournament back in the day had no problems supporting 8+ players and i was using a 56K modem then. i have much more respect for the socom servers now, as they handled 16 players most of the time along with chat. unless xbox live starts fixing up stuff i'd give xbox live a tepid review but i'll still play as it's still more fun than playing by yourself

18. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I love XBOX Live. I hope they bring a keyboard and a mouse for it soon. Cant wait to play NHL2K3 on it.

19. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I thought MS said no way to keyboards?

20. Michael St. Clair