What's new

"WOW!" Moments, 2008 Edition (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Continuing the tradition started by Jordan_E, here cometh the 2008 Edition of the "WOW!" Moments thread.

Previous installments:
All-Time Edition

It's a bit of a tradition, and we usually start these sometime in the summer. They've had progressively less posts in each every year, but maybe 2008 will break the cycle. There are spoilers for each specific movie, so tread cautiously. The usual format has been:

Title - Moment

That way, people can skip movies they haven't seen rather easily. To increase the contributions, please don't say "the whole movie" or include more than 1-2 "moments" per film. The intent is to cover 2008 films, but if you saw something for the first time in 2008, feel free to include. Nothing dogmatic in here. Just sharing a raw love of the artform by highlighting great moments only a movie could offer.

Go
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Cloverfield - I know we're not supposed to say so, but pretty much the whole movie. I was actually filming in downtown NYC on 911 so this film really effected me greatly. I was weeping at moments and found myself terribly unsettled, sometimes trying to get myself to leave the theater, but not being able to do so.

Juno - The script. Just brilliantly executed. Incredible, fun, witty character. Loved the end with the two of them together with their guitars and the track team running by.

Metropolis (animated, 2001) - The opening scene. Gorgeous animation, wonderful story had me captivated for the entire runtime.

Shine a Light (IMAX) - Jaw dropped when the concert footage began. I've seen the Rolling Stones in concert and was about as close as the cameras got in the flick. I was amazed at how well Scorsese captured the feel of their show.

HellBoy 2: The Golden Army - The Troll Market scene. You'll be seeing a lot of people writing about this in the thread. Can't look away for a moment, there is simply too much to look at. Del Toro opens up his mind to us and god bless him for it!

The Dark Knight - The batpod explodes out of the batmobile! KEWL! (as the kiddies like to say)

Dark City: Director's Cut - Opening scene without the god dammed voice over explaining the entire film! Yep - so much better without it! Will be showing the director's cut to every first-time viewer from here on out. Then I'll show them the theatrical with the voice over to let them see how a studio can f@*k up a film in 2 minutes time.

Cheers,

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
WALL*E - EVE watching her "shutdown" memories and seeing how devoted WALL*E is to her

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - I will do two for this one:

1) The puppet prologue is fantastic...brilliant use of a limited budget. I could watch a whole movie like that

2) Krauss taking control of a soldier in the Golden Army and fighting the rest

Speed Racer - I'll also do two for this one; not many folks saw it, and there is plenty to go around for SR:

1) Speed racing his phantom brother, intercut with all of the backstory at Thunderhead

2) Racer X talking to Inspector Detector after the Grand Prix

Some more later,
Chuck

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

Both moments you mentioned in HellBoy 2 would have been on my list, but seeing as I already broke one rule, I didn't want to break another.
But since you started - Also loved when Krauss beat the piss out of HellBoy and When Hellboy and Abe sang some Barry Manilow! Wow scenes in they had me rolling with laughter.

Also - I completely forgot about Speed Racer. Can't believe it. For me it was the opening 10 minutes where they established so much with such incredibly whiplash editing and yet not losing the audience in its breakneck speed wake.

Cheers,

Jason

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Wanted - In the opening scene, when a Fraternity member is set up as a decoy and takes bullet 'hit' from Wesley's father.

Iron Man - The Mach 2/3 armour experimentation.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
WALL-E - The first 1/3 (or whatever it is) of the movie. And I don't think that's a cheat. For specific moments I'll go with Define Dancing and Eve trying to re-boot WALL-E at the end. Surprisingly moving considering you know there is zero chance he doesn't come back.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wall-E - The moments when the frame shows only Wall-E's "hands." They're just pieces of metal, but they express so much as he's watching the TV. You can feel the lonliness.

Wall-E - Ditto on Eve recalling how devoted Wall-E was.

And if I may go back a couple of years:

To Kill a Mockingbird: When Atticus says to Boo Radley: "Thank you for my Children, Arthur.
Edit: And when Scout Leads Boo back to his house.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Speed Racer

-the opening 15 minutes or so: the cartoon daydream, the intercutting of the different timelines, the first view of a race, etc. Man, freaking awesome filmmaking.

-The final minutes of the final race where Speed gets his car started up again. One of the biggest "WOW's" I've ever had experiencing in not just movies, but anything.

~T

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
The first one that came to mind for me is the single long take in Michel Gondry's Be Kind Rewind that shows them making their own versions of scenes from a number of different films - especially when they do King Kong and use a forced perspective to make Jack Black's Kong look so much bigger than the woman. Really fun and very creative.

A couple of others come from documentaries seen at this year's Hot Docs Film Festival:

- All Together Now shows how Cirque Du Soleil put together their Beatles show "Love". There's a moment in "A Day In The Life" where a car suddenly explodes into all its component pieces (each being carried off by a different dancer) that is quite extraordinary.
- S&M: Short And Male covers many different approaches to dealing with being a short male in today's society. One young tenage boy goes through surgery to add height - surgery that doctors try to talk patients out of. The surgery itself and the pain the boy goes through is difficult to watch, but most of all I was angry at the parents for letting him do this in the first place (partially by making a big deal about his height in the first place).
- Every time in Anvil! The Story Of Anvil when the legendary Canadian heavy metal band's arc closely followed that of Spinal Tap. And there's many points where this happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks