What's new

Wow, is Yamaha really this STUPID? (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
XM and Sirius have been on a marketing blitz this year and I'm sure Yamaha did considerable research before deciding to go down this path. There are no guarantees, but I suspect the demand for XM and Sirius will increase as the availability of cable radio decreases. One thing that will help Yamaha is that, as far as I know, they are the only manufacturer offering this capability. It is possible that Yamaha is getting a payment for every subscription sold to the owner of one of these receivers or even just for selling the receivers, whether the owner buys the XM subscription or not.

Also keep in mind that these are probably not the only receivers Yamaha will be selling, even in the entry level and mid range. I'm pretty sure there will be other models, probably based on the same platform, that have other features, but not the XM sat capability.

I'm not familiar with the the Polk and Kenwood units, are those XM only components? If so, that may be why they don't sell well. I can understand why not many people would be interested in buying a tuner that can only tune XM service. But Yamaha is selling it as just another feature on a full blown HT receiver. IOW, you're not paying for just the XM capability.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
This is a really good thread! I have not hooked up my unit yet. I'm waiting on info on the Antenna. While you think that may be kinda funny...its not. The antenna they show on XM's website is different from the one they show on the Flyer that came in the box. Also, the website that the flyer states still does not work. Now...I know this is a brand new unit for Yamaha-and I actually have the first one the Store recieved. They dont even have one on display. So...guess I set myself up for it eh?

Ok...that said.

I bought this unit in the same store that sells the $6k Dennon unit. They also sell B&W etc...its a high end store with not all "high end " products- you wont find this in BB yet..and you wont find it under the RX-V name!

As far as the 2 inputs...thats fine for what I need. This unit is going into the bedroom..and being sourced into the bathroom and den- 2 componant inputs is all I need... one for the DVD player...and uh..well..thats it. The Yamaha componant up conversion has worked real well on my RX-v2400.
The 2400 is the unit I will be using in my New HT room when its built. I still dont need 3 inputs though..and I'm going to end up with projections system.

While Denon makes a nice product...I like my Yamaha's. Yamaha does have some higher end models with more inputs bells and whistles...and a higher price. For the 479 I paid for this unit...I'm quite happy...and I have not even plugged it in yet.

Now...for XM in the home. I hate FM stations. They are worthless...I have XM in my car and in my wifes car! I cannot wait to have it in the home as well! Too me.. XM is like cable tv... at first...everyone was like...your stupid..why you paying for tv when its free... just look now?

Every one has thier own needs and budgets. What shoe fits one person..wont always fit another...Sometimes we forget this... Peace out..Thomas A.

BTW...When I get that hooked up..I'll post a nice review-

Wow..all that and forgot one thing. Question was asked what I'm going to run on this unit.
Polk RT35i's front (phantom center)
Polk RT25i's rear
DCM dual 12" sub- forgot the model. Its about 8yrs old

Robert James Clark

Second Unit

As a long time XM user, I love the service, but the sound quality just isn't good enough to use with my home system. "Music Choice" has better sound quality. It will be interesting to see if Yamaha has any success with adding XM to a receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks