Wow! I'm becoming overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Harwell, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Matthew Harwell

Matthew Harwell Auditioning

While I am not new to Home Theater, I am new to RP HDTV's. I have done a decent amount of reading these posts on various brands of HD Monitors and have almost read myself out of buying one. I originally was looking at the Panasonic 47" until I read bad stuff about that one. Then I went out and looked at Toshiba's 50 and 57 inch but then came across articles saying that Toshiba has major quality control issues. I then considered Mitsubishi until I read all the posting about the "red push" problem. It almost sounds like the technology has not quite been refined yet. At least not in the $2,500.00 - $3,000.00 range. In this forum, as well as a couple of others, the bulk of the postings are negative for all brands. I do realize that most forums and newsgroups attract negative postings and problems, as those people are seeking answers but it seems to me that those dealing with RP HDTV's are plagued with negative reviews on all major brands of RP HDTV's.
    I am sure that there is no simple answer to this question but I will ask it anyway. What is the best quality, around 50", RP HDTV, for around $3,000.00, currently on the market? In addition, when do the 2002 models come out and should I wait for them to come out before purchasing?

2. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

The red push is really irritating, but I'd be surprised if it's limited to ONLY the Mits' HDTVs.
    The red push can be dealt with in many ways, depending on the source. For SDTV I easily turn down the color (saturation) setting. It sounds archaic but it is after all SDTV (480i). [​IMG] If you'll be watching DVDs through an interlaced player, then you'll have to do the same since there's no other fix for it, yet. On the other hand, since you are looking into HDTVs, I'm sure you've heard of progressive DVD players through your research. There's a well executed, and accepted, fix for red push on a PDVDP: a red push killer. Search for it at http://www.hometheaterspot.com