WOW! I just got a gig playing guitar at a coffee house.. How do I tune this thing??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Jan 30, 2002.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Just kidding, I know how to tune a guitar!

Well actually, I use the piano.

So, enlight of the situation (I want to tune on the road) I bought a "Quick Tune" Tuner.

It sucks!

Anyone have experiance with these things?

My accoustic doesn't have a line out or internal pickup (I use a microphone) so I'm using the internal microphone on this tuner..

It knows when I strum the E and B strings but when I use Low E, A, D, G, it show's no signal..

This thing is supposed to be "The #1 best selling tuner in the world" so I'm hopeing someone here has one.

Thanks,

Nathan

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Nathan,
    Once you have the E, everthing else is easy, you don't need the tuner after that, unless your ear is just way off or something...
    On the electronic tuners, I always had a problem with the internal mikes with them as well, try playing louder [​IMG]

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Ah, the ubiquitous Qwik Tune!!!

I've never had any problems with these things not picking up a note. Keep it close to the guitar (2 feet or less) and give it a few seconds to pick up the signal. And this goes without saying, but keep down any extra noises in the room. The internal mic can pick them up and interfere with tuning. My favorite trick when someone is using an acoustic tuner, is to walk up behind them and sing a constant C note. That throws off the tuner nicely and always drives the guitarist nuts!

Some other things to try: tune to your piano before leaving the house. Don't play the guitar too hard afterwards.

If you can get the high E and B in tune, just use the fretted tuning method. 4th fret G equals open B. 5th fret D equals open G. 5th fret A equals open D. 5th fret low E equals open A. Of course, since most guitars have imperfect intonation, you might want to double-check it using octaves and easy intervals like 5ths. That way, you can fine-tune it over the length of the fretboard. I like tuning my open B with 9th fret D and open high E with 9th fret G, then going back and checking with the 4th and 5th frets and fifths to make sure.

And although you didn't ask for other tuner suggestions, I have one. I've used the Korg CA-20 for quite a while now and think it is one of the most reliable and accurate out there. It's also chromatic, so it'll handle flats and sharps and all that other fun stuff.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    You have two tuners with you all of the time, your ears [​IMG] . Seriously, if you're playing somewhere quiet like a coffee house, then just get a tuning fork (A440) and then tune the guitar by ear from there.

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Some days those buggers just won't tune.

Get yourself a Fischman pickup - they are expensive but if you like to play bronze acoustic strings they give a fantastic feel.

Alternatively get a Woody pickup if you play steel strings - they're pretty good and then you can plug in.

I like to use my ears sometimes but if it's a bit noisy and the guitar's playing up then you just can't do it. You're better off getting it really well tuned somewhere quiet and then just fine adjusting before you play - most people have to and the audience expect it.

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd go ahead and drop the cash and get a chromatic tuner. Probably one of the best $50 I ever spent; it allows far more freedom of tuning and you can also check the tuning with a capo in place.

9. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I forget the brand, but there's an acoustic tuner out that snaps to the headstock. It tunes based on the vibrations it picks up when your pluck a string. Hence, no worries about background noise or microphones, etc.

If you're playing by yourself, remember that as long as you don't tune out of your singing range, it doesn't matter if the guitar is in absolute tune with the rest of the world.

Just tune to your approximation of low E, and get the rest of the guitar in sync with that string using the fretting method mentioned above: 5th fret on the low E = open A string (the next string down), 5th fret on the A = open D string, 5th fret on the D = open G string, 4th fret on the G = open B string, 5th fret on the B = open E string.

Each string will sound in tune with the others and chords and solos will still sound right.

Of course, if you try playing with another person while the guitar is tuned this way you're screwed, unless you tune the band to a single reference.

On a side note, a lot of bands play in tune with each other, but out of tune with the absolute notes. The Beatles did this a lot. They would record (inadvertently or not) with their instruments "out of tune" (but in tune with each other), and then speed the whole thing up in the studio to get in tune with the rest of world.

10. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a Quik Tune and I absolutely hate it. If you can, return it and get the cheapest KORG tuner that you can find. It should be just a couple bucks more than the QT, but will work immeasurably better.

12. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I played one song at a cofee house once. That's my claim to fame!!!