What's new

Wow HoneyMooners and I Thought it Could'nt Get Much Worse (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did'nt think the trend of turning Classic television into Bad movies could get much worse. First I saw the trailer for Bewitched. It's not a straight remake they are making a movie about remaking the tv show, with a Twist Nicole Kidman is really a witch. Ok Well Will Farrell is still pretty funny and the trailer had a few laughs, but I still think their missing the Fans of the show , exactly who is this movie reaching out to?

But then I see the trailer for the HonneyMooners with Cedric the Entertainer. My god. First I love the Old showe and I gotta think the Jackie Gleason estate should've got involved. So Ok the cast is all Black now, well there's atwist. But hey Cedric's a funny guy. But they took a classic show and turned it into an excuse to make lame booty jokes!!!! Just for viewing this travesty I'm gonna go watch my box set of the classic 39.

I love Movies but man am I starting to really hate hollywood

Diallo B

Screenwriter
dave, have you actually seen the movie?

if not, that is a strong indictment of a movie that you have not seen.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I won't ever know how good (yeah, right) or bad this will be - I refuse to see it.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Well aren't trailers there to interest people? Going by what they show me in the trailer, I have no interest.

But I do think the characters should stay white. I probably wouldn't go see a black Batman movie or a white Shaft movie.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Actually I have no Problem with the Race of the character. They could be purple for all I care. I do have the problem that they took a comedy classic that really did'nt need re-doing and basically added sex jokes. If Kids today want to see The Honeymooners there on DVD, and are a far sight better. Even if thier no in Color

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Cedric the Entertainer was heard to say that Ralph Cramden's signature "To the Moon" line is being dropped from the new film because "It's not politically correct to talk about bopping your wife these days"

I would love to see someone try to make a white "Shaft" movie just to see the reaction. I have a feeling that Black audiences would be furious about it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

What about making Ford Prefect black in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Or how about The Wiz?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd like to apologize to the forum on my previous post. Upon thinking about it, and re-reading it, I realize that that was one of the most moronic, idiotic and half crazy posts I've ever made.

Sorry for slumming in the thread. I promise to take my medication from now on.

I still don't like the idea of this "honeymooners" remake, and until I can think of a better, more eloquent way of saying why, I'll just stop right there.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well russel I got the message you sent via Email and I took your meaning from it. There are quite a few films that portray african americans away from the hip hop thug mentality. But there are far more Soul Planes, Pootie Tangs, White Chicks etc. I wish there were more intelligently written films. I applaud stars Like Mos Def, Don Cheadle that take challanging
roles Like Hotel Rwanda and Hitchikers Guide or the HBO Film, What God Made.

Back to Kramden and Norton. You can't even try to replicate Gleason and Carney nor should you try.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Black or white doesn't really matter. The bigger issue: is Hollywood that bereft of good storylines or original ideas, or both, that they have to re-cycle damn near every really good TV series from years ago? Or are they just telling us, storyline doesn't matter, quality doesn't matter, if the general public is familiar with it, we'll re-cycle it, b/c the box office will be better than with something original?

Has there been more than one of these re-makes of a TV classic that's been any better than mediocre, out of dozens now re-cycled? I sure can't think of many, off the top of my head. (The Fugitive? Maybe the first Charlie's Angels?) Most of them have been complete critical bombs.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
You can't remake The Honeymooners. It's value system belongs to a different age. It's like remaking I Love Lucy or Leave it to Beaver. And, as for retaining the 'spirit' of the original piece, well, Gabrielle Union ain't no Alice Kramdem, unless Alice somehow got major reconstructive surgery and became a swimsuit model. She looks about as downtrodden as Ivana Trump.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This movie looks just terrible. I mean it looks bad for any movie to me. It also reminds me a lot of Fat Albert for some reason. I don't know why, but it has the same feeling to me.

I could see if the movie kept with the spirit. But, it doesn't look like it has kept the spirit to me.

Alice was never like this and never wore sexy clothing. She also wasn't in her 20's. In what way does she resemble or act like Alice? She acts nothing like Alice in any way whatsoever. She seems like someone you could have cast out of any recent Friday movie.

Ralph was never this bubbly and slapstick like. Ralph was pretty much a di88head, but had a heart deep down. Sort of like Archie Bunker.

This looks to appeal to those who have never even heard of or have seen the show. If you took away the character names and title, it could be called anything.

You are basically taking a movie that could be called anything and slapping on a franchise title to try and sell tickets.

I agree with Julian. These characters became popular for a reason. They were unique and became their role. No one else can be seen as them. That goes for Lucy, Ethel, Fred, Ralph, Archie, Cosby, Roseanne (love her or hate her), etc., etc.

What's Next? Sanford and Son with a peace loving white dude for Fred Sanford? Merrel Streep (Sp?) as Aunt Esther?

At least that's my opinion.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That might be part of it, but I have started to blame ourselves for this. When all is said and done, we're (the general public) the ones going to see this crap. We make it so that these movies make money (and I do believe that "The Honeymooners" will make a decent amount of money no matter how critically ravaged it gets when it is released) So, of course, Hollywood is going to keep drawing from the well.

With a good deal of notable exceptions, I think history will remember these times as one of the crappiest ages of cinema. But, we are largely responsible for this.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Owning the Paramount Honeymooners set and all of the lost episodes (all volumes), I watch them every few months and can't get enough of them. I am a huge fan, and when I saw what they were doing, I was very upset. First of all, there will never be another Jackie Gleason and Art Carney, or for that matter, Audrey Meadows. But the movies being made today are aimed at the teen set, so knowing that information, there is no way I will pay to see this movie. If there are half decent reviews I might rent it from Netflix, but I have major doubts about decent reviews.

Then, I saw the new Bewitched trailer, WOW. Another movie I wanted to see but decided against it. When I heard the Bewitched theme in rap on a snip on the internet (from the film), I shrugged. To me, the only decent transfer to film has been the Brady Bunch movies, because they were made on the theme of the old show. Why can't they do that more often, those were successful, so why modernize everything?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the clip. If it wasn't called The Honeymooners, it might be entertaining. But it is NOT "The Honeymooners". Change the names and the occupations and it is unrecognizable. And yeah, Alice is 23?? And I WISH my apt. were that big!!!!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Coming from a different tack, I haven't been able to exactly enjoy the comedies of this decade (the only ones I've really liked have been "Team America: World Police", "Without A Paddle" and "Man Of The House") and this one doesn't look like it will do much to change my mind. I've found this to be a good decade for dramas ("Monster", "Million Dollar Baby" and "The Aviator" all spring to mind) and the comic book movies have been decent as well but when it comes to the comedies, I'm 22...I'm in the target audience for these re-makes.

Why am I not laughing, though?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope what I'm saying came out correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks