What's new

WOW DVD-A and SACD (1 Viewer)

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Well just finished listening to my new Toshiba 4700, Bought the DTS Nothing like the Sun and the DVD-A Rumours and The Captain and Me. This is incredable. I am very impressed with the DVD-A. The DTS is good but its NOT DVD-A. This is a neat format that sounds GOOD. I also bought a Sony SACD and The Stranger, 52 Street, Abrxass and Tapestry. With both formats in the stereo mode I had to unplug my rear channel speakers to convince myself they were NOT WORKING the stage just jumped out. Havent heard pressence like this since I had my turn table hooked up!:laugh: At this point with no disks to A-B I like the DVD-A format for its interface on screen. But I think it would take a lot of listening to find differences in the 2 formats, at least that I can hear.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Your remark about the formats possessing similar "presence" to vinyl disc recordings is very telling. The way I see it, we're finally catching up to the best of vinyl sound with optical-disc technology--after only twenty years!

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I would agree. I find I am listening over and over again. Now if I could figure out how to play the sub in the stereo output:frowning: without hooking it through the speaker wires. And it really shows the poor center channel speaker I have.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I guarantee you vinyl didn't sound anywhere near the level it's at now, 20 years after its introduction.

Regards,

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Mark E. Smith: are you a Fall fan, or is that your real name? Or both? Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about: The Fall was/is a great, seminal British punk band headed by a lunatic named Mark E. Smith.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Havent got a clue about Fall. Though some of my friends think iam crazy. Punk was after my type of music. Late 60s and 70s is my cup of tea.;)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
And it really shows the poor center channel speaker I have.
Nothing will stress the center channel speaker like multichannel music. Multichannel audio nirvanna is only achievable with identical speakers all around. I'm fairly close with three identicals in the front.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
There is ALOT more going on than the difference in the sampling rate! (DUGH) I have been listening to the Rumours DVD-A. I was really familiar with the special pressings I have on LPs of this great album. I think they remastered the album, and it is fundamently different(in a real good way) than the original. I can hear detail that I know wasnt in my LPs. I also notice All of the channels have discret signals, not just ambiances. The bass is incredably detailed. Is it posible that the lack of decoding (PCM) and crossovers to separate the sub from the main speakers are the difference? But then again the mids are better. I can hear the fingers moving on the flatwound strings of the bass.I wish there were more of these DVD-As!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

PS: This is almost as neat as my DTiVos:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks