Wow, compared 3 40" next to each other at SEARs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndreTrixy, Oct 25, 2001.

1. AndreTrixy

AndreTrixy Auditioning

Today I finally got the guts to go to my local SEARS to take a first look at the 16:9 ~40" widescreen TVs.
    Was it total luck or what?
    Right next to each other were:
    Hitachi 43"
    Mistubishi 46"
    Panasonic 47"
    All the HDTV 16:9 playing DISH HDTV channel
    Wow. I was amazed with all of 'en. The guy was a traine, and I had a friend with me, but I just about busted out the plastic and bought it right then and there for the SEARS price! Mind you, I'm a youngen!
    I know you can't really compare TVs that arnt calibrated, but I was extremely impressed with the Panasonic 47WX49. But then I thought: I'll wait a few days, then bring in an online price, and get this sucker for $500 cheaper.
    I must say, I was incredibly happy. I just wish I could see the Toshiba 42H81. That one really sounds like a gem.

2. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Ok, Andre, what made you choose the Panasonic?

3. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Do real physical stores honor the prices (for pricematch purposes) listed at online-only
    stores?
    And can you go to a store that you've already ordered from but the T.V. hasn't been delivered
    yet and demand they drop the price to an online store price that you show them?
    We bought a Wega from Circuit City and they said they'll match prices, but I didn't
    think online store prices would be counted in that. But the T.V. won't be here until tomorrow,
    perhaps we could run out and show them the price of an online shop and they'll agree
    to lower our price we paid (we did the 1 year same-as-cash deal, so we didn't give them
    much actual cash yet).
    Time is short, any advice is much appreciated. [​IMG]

4. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

It has been my experience that almost all B&M stores will not match Internet store prices. The exception is Sears. It is listed on their pricing policy page at Sears.com that they will price match Internet stores. You will need to bring in a printed page from the Internet store with the price of the TV and the shipping charges and the phone number to the store. (I just did this last week and saved five hundred bucks on a RPTV. They couldn't deduct the state sales tax (or so I was told), so they gave me free shipping instead.
    In your case, you might want to run over to Sears today and see if they carry the TV that you want. If they do, you can cancel your Circuit City order and buy at Sears. At the moment, they have a special going on--no interest financing for one year with no minimum payments per month and accrued interest if you can't pay off the balance in one year. Plus, a 30 day money back guarantee!)

5. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Page,
    Thanks for replying. [​IMG] Ah, the shipping has to be added in? Well then, that's a whole new
    ballgame. The shipping on such a heavy T.V. would no doubt be huge and when factored in
    would make any price difference pretty small, not worth the trouble of canceling the order when
    the T.V. is due here tomorrow.
    But thanks for the info. [​IMG]

6. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Yes, shipping "could" be rather hefty, but I searched around the Net and found my set at a low-price and a place that let's you choose what kind of shipping you want. (I chose the supercheap $75 dollar shipping, so I did land a good deal.)

7. AndreTrixy

AndreTrixy Auditioning

I liked the Panasonic, 'cause it looked a lot clearer and sharper then the others by a long shot. I know that you can't comapre 'em if they arn't calibrated, but for a store unit, the Panny looked AWESOME! Definatly the best on display by a LONG shot. The Mitsubishi looked pretty good too [​IMG]

8. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Sears WAS the only major retailer to price match online sites. This is no longer the case. If someone at Sears is on the ball, they'll tell you that the only sites they match now are "reputable, verified" sites, i.e. radioshack.com or amazon.com. There's a list of about 20 sites like that, and that's all they can do. The chain was bleeding money. Contrary to popular belief, when you knock five hundred bucks off a projection TV, you are buying it at or near cost. Not worth it for the store.
    Of course, not all locations will have gotten notice of this. If anyone plans on price matching, they'd better do it NOW, because it WILL cease to exist come January.