What's new

wow bass shakers.... a must (1 Viewer)

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
i have 2 50 watts pro's attached to my couch and simply love them...the thing is i also only have a 50 watt at 8 ohms amp plate,i have to run it at about 90% to get a good effect,i will eventually buy a new 6.1 receiver,and then i will use my old 5.1 receiver to run the shakers.....

my question is running my amp plate at 90% going to hurt the shakers or my amp? because i guess i am sending distortion to the shakers if running at full? but then again they say you do not need much power to run these and does not have to be clean power....thanks for the answer in advance.....

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
No, but a better amp wouldn't hurt at all. Look at the 120W plate amp from partsexpress. It would be a perfect fit, or even the larger 250W amp since you should run the shakers in series for an 8 ohm load.

I agree that they are awesome, an added feel that enhances the experience. Especially for us apartment dwellers that can't turn up the sub loud. It seems louder and feels louder but really isn't as far as audible dB's go.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I think a better amp might hurt. I've read that when they can draw too much current, they "clack". I just ordered the smaller ones from Parts Express for $30, and I'm worried that my 100W amp will be too much for them.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have 2 aura pros wired in series and am using a single channel of a crown pro amp to drive them. That's 275W into 8 ohms, 450W into 4 ohms and 560W into 2 ohms on that single channel. You will be fine either way.

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
how about if i run 2 pairs one pair are pro serries and the other is the 25watt ones...i pair goes to my love seat the other goes to the couch...i will use my old receiver run one pair to the left chanell and the other to the right chanell....someone said get a low pass filter where would i find one on toronto area?

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
p.s how do you know how loud to put them? i mean how much power before they destort...with speakers you can clearly here when they are to loud,but these? i do not want to blow them...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You could run 3 pairs to get a 6 ohm load, just run 3 n series for 12 ohms and the other three the same way, then wire the two arrays in parallel. Even a small amount of power is enough to get these things moving. Just about anything will work.

You're on your own as to how strong you want them to shake. Just do a test with your loudest material and the loudest you want to play your system and make sure they are OK at this level. A good way to test is turn off all the speakers and sub and let them play by themselves. You can still hear them.

Alan M

Second Unit
After reading this thread,and a previous thread about aura pro's,I decided to buy a pair.The effect it has had on my sound system is amazing.
I have a old sony matrix surround receiver powering my 15" passive sub on 1 channel.Hooked the pro's up in series,as per instructions,and Im using the balance control for volume between the pro's and the sub.
WOW,I turned down the master volume,balanced it to the sub,and Im hearing things i never heard before in movies,or should i say hearing and feeling.
Just wanted to thank all you folks for getting my interest up and thanks Dan for starting this thread.

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
no problem alan...i also love them.... a great movie to watch is red planet with val kilmer...the ending with the space ship blasting off is amazing,i watched it so many times iam sick of the scene lol.....

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
On this note, if anyone wants to get into shaker land, I have an Aura 50 watt bass shaker and mono amp with variable crossover for sale over in "hardware for sale" Sorry for the blatant plug, but I'd really like to sell these so I can get my B&K Reference 50. Thanks!

Brad Woodhouse
Edina, MN

Alan M

Second Unit
Dan,in this thread,or the previous thread on shakers,someone suggested U571,scene 15(depth charge scene).This became my test and adjustment movie.
Looks like I'll be putting on red planet tonite to watch the rocket blast off.
Btw,did I mention that I got a chance to install the shakers in my coach before the wife came home from work.The look on her face when she watched the depth charge scene was truly priceless.

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
hey allan well my wife sat for 10 seconds then said she does not like them,they make her sick...o well that is why there are in my home theater room,

what did you think of red planet?

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
Parts express really impressed me with their service. I ordered 3 pairs of shakers and the 120W amp yesterday at 3:00am and they got here today at 12:00pm. Nicely packed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks