Wouldn't it be great if...........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Jul 20, 2002.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

you could buy the DVD in the Theater lobby right after just seeing the movie?
    That's always been a fantasy of mine....seeing a great movie and then taking it home with me that night. Imagine how many impulse buys would take place if this was possible. Often times I find my desire to own a movie subsides after a time.....with a option like this..they would get their hands on my money right off the bat. Even if they limited the sales to theater's only at full MSRP until a reasonable time afterward. I think this could be a gold mine for studios and theaters.
    I know this will probably never happen...but hey, I never thought I'd see them advertising DVD's in a theater either..and that happened during "Road to Perdition". So maybe maybe
    [​IMG]

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

This was covered at the DVD Producers panel at VSDA. All of the panelists looked a little panicked when the question was brought up and they agree the only way for that to happen would be to delay the theatrical release, something the studios would never do. The producers are already feeling enough pressure to get the discs out the door as it is, probably one reason we're starting to see bare-bone discs issued followed by Special Editions (like Black Hawk Down).

Gord

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I thought they already tried this with Spaceballs and "Instant Videocasette"?[​IMG]

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Actually, in Spaceballs the movie was out BEFORE the movie was even finished. [​IMG]
    I was in this kind of situation, sort of. A couple months back I went to a screening of James Camerons Titanic at the Lowes Jersey Theater, and they had two TITANIC historians their so I brought my dvd of the movie along to have them sign it. It was strange seeing this on the big screen while at the same time having the dvd of the film right their in my lap! [​IMG]

5. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    No thank you! If theatres priced the DVDs like they do popcorn we'd be paying $150 a disk and extra for the case.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's a lousy idea.

7. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

No it's a great idea! Though it was discussed many times before. Plus you'd see some cheaper used versions on ebay.
    I'm sure I'd buy more movies than usually 'cause after seeing it, even if it's not that good you might get it.

8. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

maybe if they gave it away free as an incentive to get me to go to the theater.

9. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I went to see MAU MAU SEX SEX in a theater in Salt Lake City, and the director of the film was selling the movie on DVD in the lobby after the screening. I bought one, and recommend it.