What's new

Wouldn't it be great if........... (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
you could buy the DVD in the Theater lobby right after just seeing the movie?
That's always been a fantasy of mine....seeing a great movie and then taking it home with me that night. Imagine how many impulse buys would take place if this was possible. Often times I find my desire to own a movie subsides after a time.....with a option like this..they would get their hands on my money right off the bat. Even if they limited the sales to theater's only at full MSRP until a reasonable time afterward. I think this could be a gold mine for studios and theaters.
I know this will probably never happen...but hey, I never thought I'd see them advertising DVD's in a theater either..and that happened during "Road to Perdition". So maybe maybe
:D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
This was covered at the DVD Producers panel at VSDA. All of the panelists looked a little panicked when the question was brought up and they agree the only way for that to happen would be to delay the theatrical release, something the studios would never do. The producers are already feeling enough pressure to get the discs out the door as it is, probably one reason we're starting to see bare-bone discs issued followed by Special Editions (like Black Hawk Down).

Gord

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Actually, in Spaceballs the movie was out BEFORE the movie was even finished. :laugh:
I was in this kind of situation, sort of. A couple months back I went to a screening of James Camerons Titanic at the Lowes Jersey Theater, and they had two TITANIC historians their so I brought my dvd of the movie along to have them sign it. It was strange seeing this on the big screen while at the same time having the dvd of the film right their in my lap! :)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
No it's a great idea! Though it was discussed many times before. Plus you'd see some cheaper used versions on ebay.
I'm sure I'd buy more movies than usually 'cause after seeing it, even if it's not that good you might get it.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I went to see MAU MAU SEX SEX in a theater in Salt Lake City, and the director of the film was selling the movie on DVD in the lobby after the screening. I bought one, and recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks