What's new

Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo released a unit w/slots for all past systems? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
For those who still have all the old games, I think it would be pretty awesome if Nintendo released a high end system that has slots for every Nintendo system ever made, NES, SNES, N64, GC, even have GB and DS slots.
Include upscaling for everything built into the unit well as a optical digital out.
I think if Nintendo released it as maybe a limited edition unit, it would do very well.

Who else would buy such a unit?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if i didnt chip my xbox or buy the psp v1.50 to play old games through emulation, i'd buy one. i play old nintendo/sega games more than i play new games, not including GT4. actually if it wasnt for GT4 and the GTA series on ps2, i dont know that i'd have any recent-generation system.

CJ

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The new Nintendo Revolution is supposed to be able to download any old game. This probably means you will have to pay for them but still worth it.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug

Hmm, I don't follow these things very closely and, naively, thought what I'd heard about Nintendo Revolution meant it would play the early Nintendo games I have around the home from prior incarnations of the game system.

If you have to download the old games, but it can't play the ones you already have on it, I doubt I will buy it. I'm more likely to move to the current or HD version of Play Station, particularly if it plays older generation games.

So, to the question of this thread, yes, I'd definitely buy the Nintendo Revolution IF it played old cartridge games along with its own generation of games.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, they still haven't revelaled a lot of details about the downloadable games (cost etc), but I have a feeling that it'll be paid downloads on the cheap, with a lot of free giveaways as promotions for buying/registering particular games.

I'd probably pass on a multi-slot system though-that's why I still have the old NES, SNES, and N64 hooked up. I'll probably still pick some stuff up on the Virtual Console though if the price and selection are right-there are some NES and SNES games that I'm just not prepared to pay ebay prices for, but that I'd like to play again. Could go the emulator routs, but that's just not worth it.

Now, if they released some sort of writeable cart that allowed you to download/play NES/SNES games on a DS-now THAT would be a killer app.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

Not only would it be physically unfeasable as the system size would dramatically increase (you design a system that looks sleek and cool, maintains a small footprint, and has 3 seperate cartridge slots and a CD drive + 4 controller ports and 2 memory card slots), it would be difficult from a programming standpoint as well. When you have to wire up a bunch of different hardware specs and make them work together it becomes challenging. The downloadable thing is the best all around solution, from just about every perspective. Plus, if there's a game that you don't have you can still get it this way, and not have to pay through the nose to get the cart (ie. Dragon Warrior IV) and there's no limit on availablity.

Users who are viewing this thread