Would you work again for a company that laid you off?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Varacin, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Just curious what people's opionions are on this...

Assume you had a job that you really loved, but then the company came under hard times. They laid you off. Could you ever go back to work for them again?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I don't see why not. If as you said you really loved the job, you should be glad to get it back, rather learning to fit into a whole other function/environment/culture.

--
    H

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Depends - I've really liked both companies that have laid me off, and in fact a manager from one of those companies later hired me for a contract at his next job.

But, that's the thing - the company that laid me off still exists, but no longer looks much like it did two years ago. Speaking hypothetically, it would depend on the circumstances, and how many people (and other factors) from the old days are around would be a big question.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

No. I won't say never, but it would take a whole lot of persuasion to get me to go back.

It's like a boyfriend/girlfriend dumping a person to date someone new and when that doesn't work out, they come running back.

If they laid me off once, there's a much higher risk of getting laid off again. I'm not going to be marked as a sucker.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Yep, if I liked working there in the first place, but I would only be as loyal to them as they were to me. I'd have no problem leaving there if something better came along. I also probably wouldn't be much of a dedicated employee, I'd be hard pressed to bust my butt working for someone who laid me off, unless they were working real hard at making it up to me.

6. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

I have a neighbor who worked for IBM for 10-15 years, was laid off, rehired with IBM after another 6-7 years and guess what... was laid off again.

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I would... Its not personal... Its just business...

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    The guy who held my job, as News Director at our station was unceremoniously fired in April, and I was handed his job. He was BITTER, doing what he could to disparage us, bring us down in the community.

And in August he was calling football games for us.

If he saw the owner, he would punch him in the face, but the rest of us (just bystanders in the whole thing) were cool.

There are no closed doors, I think. It's business, as was said before, not personal.

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I think it depends on how they did it. If they came up to you one afternoon and said clear out your locker/desk and that was it, then No. If they gave you ample notice that this was going to happen and were really sorry about it, then sure.
    Maybe you could work a nice golden parachute into your contract should layoffs happen again.

10. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Businesses aren't in it to lose money, so if the real reason you're getting laid off is that, then I don't see why going back should be a problem. But then again, it really depends on the situation. I was at one company where they used that excuse to layoff the misfits, ne'r-do-wells, personality cases, and deadwood. If you're in that situation, you wouldn't be asked back anyway. [​IMG]

11. Leila Dougan

I guess I'm a bit jaded.

The company I left 6 mos ago would use "layoffs" as an excuse all the time. No notice, no severance, and often they'd delay your last check. Then, after they'd release their quarterly statements, they'd higher you back. Rinse and repeat. I worked with people that had been layed off and rehired 2-3 times in 2-3 years. It wasn't a way to permanently trim the fat, it was a ploy to fool investors.

12. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I wouldn't go back because I would have another job - likely a better one with a better employer. Maybe not in the same field, but one where I am less likely to deal with layoffs again.

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Leila, I used to work for a guy who would punish his employees by firing them and rehiring them a few days or weeks later. He did this on a whim, to exert control, and never because anybody ever did anything wrong. Often, he would give "written notice" that an employee's job would be terminated in two weeks, only to have a "change of heart" at the end of the two week period, "forgive" the employee, and suspend the termination. This he did in order to make his employees sweat it out and presumably try to be more productive for two weeks in the hopes of changing the boss's mind.

I decided to prepare in case he tried it on me. Sure enough, he called me into his office told me I was fired and handed me a letter specifying that my employment would terminate in 60 days. (60 DAYS! - Funny how that was just how long I needed to finish the project I was working on.) I immediately handed him my letter of resignation which gave two weeks' notice. After reading it, he looked back at me and said, "But how will I ever get my project done? You're the only one who knows anything about it."

During my final two weeks, he tried his best to gain my favor so I'd change my mind. I told him there would be no point, since I would be terminated in less than two months anyway. "Anything could happen," was his cheery reply.

On my last day, he pleaded with me to stay. As I was leaving, he said he couldn't believe how disloyal I was and that I was leaving him in a terrible position. I reminded him that he fired me, giving me absolutely no reason to be loyal.

Oh, and he also put camouflage makeup on his face and followed his female employees (I was the only male employee in the whole company) after they left work, but that's another story.

I wouldn't go back to work for that guy, but I've worked for a number of companies that fell on hard times and had to let me go. I'd go back to just about any of them as long as their prospects for a market looked good.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well said.

as far as lay-offs go, companies often use this as an excuse to "trim the fat". at my company, most of the people who were let go "deserved" it.

when i first started working here, i was with two other people. both of them were senior staff. when lay-offs came along, they were both let go and i was kept. i later found out why. simply put, i was doing the work of both of them combined....you figure it out.

now i'm not saying that is always the case, but it certainly works to the companies benefit.

on a side note, there is no such thing as company loyalty anymore. no job is totally safe. so, there should be no loyalty factors in your decisions either.

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

an airline, yes. Anyone else? no.

16. Leila Dougan

Brian, that's pretty bad! My company has a habit of laying off pregnant women. All the women know that when they head out for materinity leave they better clear their desks and offices, 'cause they aren't coming back! Somehow, myseriously, once they are gone their jobs are no longer needed. But that's why I'm not there anymore. After doing the work of 3-4 people, all who got layed off before me, I got fed up because they would't accept anything less than 60 hrs a week while paying me pennies. Seriously, I was at my state's poverty level and I don't live in a rich state.