What's new

Would you upgrade in this circumstance? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Would you upgrade a DVD if it was one of your favourite movies but you knew that you would not watch it very often. In fact, if you KNEW that you weren't going to watch it more than once every 3 or 4 years. Would you still bother upgrading, if you're going to watch it so far apart?

If the movie itself looked hideous in the current version, I'm sure anyone would upgrade it, especially if it's one of their favourites. But how about if it looked "just ok" and not great? Would you still upgrade?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I'd rent it.

Any title that I knew I was only going to watch
once every 3 or 4 years should be deemed a "rental title."
Picture quality "upgrade" really
has nothing to do with it.

Can you really afford to buy a film on DVD you'll enjoy only once in the next 3 years?

UNLESS it is not readily available at local rental place, I wouldn't buy it.

The fact is,
for a title you know you will not watch
more than once in the next three years,
it is more econoical to rent it...
that is just being practical.

But, we all know that buying DVDs is not
governed by being rational. For me,
if I know a superior verison of the film exists
on DVD, and it is a title that I have a strong affinity for, I just go buy the thing
and sell my other copy on eBay.

Mark

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Would you upgrade a DVD if it was one of your favourite movies but you knew that you would not watch it very often. In fact, if you KNEW that you weren't going to watch it more than once every 3 or 4 years.
I watch my favorite movies 3 or 4 times a year... So in my case, I'd buy a superior version (if my budget allows)...

Cheers,

Vincent

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i plan to buy the new Alien/Aliens in some form (possibly the Quad set) and i've only watched the first movie once in the 4 yrs i've owned it.
i just upgraded my display though, and while i had thought it looked pretty darn good previously, it now seems disappointing in several areas. i'm sure i won't watch it more than once every two years
but knowing i own it and can watcha superior copy of it any time i choose, as well as having it available to demo choice scenes once and a while- and considering how much the movie means to me, then yes, i have no problem in upgrading.

i still remember the days before mom and pop stores (let alone chains) were around to rent vhs tapes.
if i wanted to see a favorite film at home, i had to wait for the caprices of HBO.
when i think about this hobby, the whole idea still floors me.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I eargerly await the following ALREADY HAVE PURCHASED FILMS when upgrades are available:

1) Lilo and Stitch- I cannot wait for the Special Edition to finally arrive in 2004!

2) The Friday The 13th Series- While I am waiting for these movies, it really all depends in how these films are dealt with as to whether I will shell the money out or not. I am hoping that they are done right.

3) Gone With The Wind- A true Special Edition of the film is needed badly...while I am happy with what I currently own, this film deserves better than this.

4) Psycho- There needs to be a true Special Edition of this film...one with a Janet Leigh commentary and archive interviews with Hitch and Tony as well.

5) The Marx Brother films- I would gladly purchase the five Universal releases over again should archive material and such be located...simply wonderful the Marx's were.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
If it was my favorite movie, I'd probably watch it more than just once every 3 to 4 years.

It would all come down to the movie. Take The Godfather for example. I watch the trilogy about once a year, but I can't see myself spending anymore money on upgrading to a better release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks