What's new

Would you upgrade a Sony 777ES to Onkyo TX-DS898? (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've got the Sony and I'm looking at the Onkyo for several reasons.
1) HDTV component video switching, 2 inputs
2) 7.1 channel out
3) DPL II
Would you make take the upgrade?

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
IMO- No
I have had nothin but trouble with Onkyo.If you want to upgrade I would sugest going to a somthing like
Denon avr-3802.
It has DPL2 with 6.1 but no HDTV switching.
But if 7.1 HDTV is videl,go with something other then onkyo.
patriot.gif

------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-2800
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 200i
Rear:PSB Alpha Into LR
MTX power sub
Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21
God Bless America :usa:

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
NO! The Sony is an excellent receiver, maybe the best receiver out there soundwise. I would stay away from the Denon 3802 too as I tried one at home and its sound doesn't even come close to the 777. Why don't you upgrade to separates? You can get the new Outlaw preamp in November for less than $1000 and the Sony TA-N9000ES amp for about $800 new or $500-600 used. I myself bought 2 Sony amps and am waiting for the Outlaw preamp.
Razvan

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
The HDTV Component switching and DPL II would make me change. I have the 696 and I like it alot because of those features.
I'm sure if you get more responses than the 3 you have now, you will end up with a 50/50 opinion.
My advice (and I am far from an audiophile) is to listen to the 898 and see if you like it.
I do not know anything about the Sony receiver, but I am sure it souds great.But if if it does not have what you want, than don't buy it.
Good Luck
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"
----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Myles

Agent
Wow, people actually saying stay away from Onkyo and buy Sony! I know, I know the ES line is fine...But Onkyo has a good rep as well. I have an Integra(aka onkyo) receiver and I think they are great. However, all you are gaining is DPL2 and video switching...Only you can say what that is worth to you.
The outlaw prepro is a good suggestion!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
lol ! This time the patriotic guys got me...I luv em
patriot.gif

sorry to go off topic, carry on.
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you absolutely NEED HD switching TODAY, then there may be a case for upgrading. Personally I wouldn't. Of course I'm running a circa 1995 receiver with a smile on my face.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony 777ES receiver is an exceptional unit. I also owned the 444ES for a few months and that one was terrible. Generally I would recommend Onkyo over Sony but the 777 is very special. I compared it to the following and Sony beat them all soundwise: B&K 307, Marantz SR-18, Denon 3802, Onkyo 696, Kenwood Sovereign 5080 and others. The Sony also has an excellent DSP, the Cinema Studio EX B which to me sounded better than DPL II. I could have preordered the Onkyo 898 from Circuit City for $999 but decided against it since I was sure that it was not going to sound as good as the 777. Instead I went the separates route, the Outlaw preamp + two Sony amps.
Razvan

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I own the Sony 777ES and I am only going to replace it when I switch to much better quality separates. It is a great receiver!
As stated earlier, unless you need HD switching, and I only have one HD source, stay with the Sony. It seems you own the Sony so take the Onkyo home and do a side by side sound test. Let your ears decide. The overall sound is more important to me than HD switching.
Chris

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
That's what I was looking for, you guys gave me some good opinions. Thanks!
Don't get me wrong, I love the 777, yes it sounds great.
These three features I wish I had. I'm lazy and hate switching my tv around from HD1 to HD2. DPL II is just a plus. I'd really like the 7.1 output.
I still haven't done the 777 firmware upgrade to 2.02, with DSP 6.1 support.
I'd like to do a side by side of the Sony Studio EX B / DPL II comparison. That should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks