Would you tolerate wet, new carpet being installed?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Todd Hochard, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

We recently ordered new carpet from Home Depot, and installer is coming today (still not here at 3:30pm). However, as is typical, it's pouring rain.

Some of it is a 15ft roll, so it's surely hanging out of the back of their van. If it's wet, would you let them install it? I'm going with no, because the reason I'm getting new carpet is because of a prior wetness and subsequent mold issue (due to a leak) in the old stuff.

Am I going over the top with this demand? I can probably get it to dry out eventually, with the ceiling fans in each room, and the AC set a few degrees colder to speed the dehumidification, but should I have to, and should I chance a repeat mold problem?

Todd

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I wouldn't take it. One of the nice things about getting stuff like this through home depot is that you have a satisfaction guarantee.

Jeff

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Are you sure the are bringing it in a regular van? They might be bringing it in a 24ft van. That would be plenty long enough for it. If it got there and it was soaked no way would I let them put it in. How bad was your mold problem before?

4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

They may just cover the exposed end in plastic. I would not let them install it wet, although there's nothing to keep them from taking it back, letting it dry, and then bringing back the same roll.

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I would be surprised they would try to install it in the rain, the carpet has to be rolled out to be cut. Maybe they would measure the rooms, go back to the warehouse to cut the pieces and bring them in. If so, and they kept the end covered, you will probably be ok as long as the carpet is not soaked in any way and it is wiped down before installation. If it is soaked or really more than just a dew like level of moisture on the back, I would make them try later.

6. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Jeez, give 'em the benefit of the doubt. They didn't get to be a $50B/year company by installing wet carpet.

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

So what happened?

8. Todd Hochard

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I would setup fans to blow air over it to dry it if I were you.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I installed carpet for years. Unfortunately theres nothing u can really do about the weather.

There were times when wd have to lay a carpet out in the driveway to cut it and it might be drizzling or even a light snow. The thing is,you turn up the heat to dry it, but usually youd keep the heat up for the carept anyway.While that may not be the case in florida it definielt is in the colder regions. The backing of the carpet gets really rigid in the cold weather (warehouse, sitiing in the back of a truck) and we used to lay it out and then leave it and let it warm up.

Installing cold carpet is like installing cardboard.

While wed never install soaked carpet. Its its a bit wet, its no big deal.You wait for it to dry and do other things -level floors, install/rip-up tackless,pad, measure etc etc

11. Todd Hochard

If I didn't make it clear- it was bone dry going in.

The outgassing I was referring to is the nasty new carpet funk. VOCs- yummy.

Todd

12. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Nice choice on the carpet. I believe thats what is in my livingroom/HT. It was in when I bought the house. It's kinda hard to tell from those pics. It looks the best of all the ones in there.

13. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

did they nail or glue it down?

Nail strips are a wonder, as you can get rid of most, in not all of the nasty glues.... Unfortunately, I think you need a thicker carpet to use that, other wise you get the tacks poking though..

Anyone better in the know please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Lance, the nails ur referring to is Tackless Strips.
    Its a long narrow piece of wood with small nails in it. Theyre placed up to the wall so u can tuck the capret behind it.The nails face towards the wall and grips the backing of the carpet when it kicked toward the wall.

The nails should only come through if its really thin, cheap carpet.

15. Todd Hochard

They used the nail strips, and they also glued down some of the padding. Not sure why they used the glue- my prior carpet/pad wasn't glued, and I had no issues in 9.5 years with slippage. I don't know it to be a specific requirement for Berber. He was too far along with it, or I probably would have stopped him.
    This Berber is a high-quality, short and tight loop, and the nails cannot be felt. I've checked, because I could feel them in a few spots with the old carpet.

Todd