What's new

Would you take a chance on a Sony KP46WT500 (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Due to flicker issues I'm afraid of pulling the trigger on this one for $1199 at a store in New Jersey called 6 Ave.

Would you do it ?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This "flicker issue" is much overstated. Do yourself a favor and check the set out at a nearby retailer. If he or she is a good retailer, you should have no problem bringing in a few reference discs and being allowed to play with the set's picture adjustments. If you like what you see, and given the price, go for it.

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i would agree with jack and if you can check the back of the set and look for the manufactures date and if it is from june and on you should be okay

but if you want peace of mind go for the 510 model same as the 500 but with no reports of flicker :)

Greg Abbott

Auditioning
This "flicker issue" is much overstated.
Well, I am the owner of a 16 month old 51HW40 that has already had its tubes replaced and the problem has come back. I will say that Sony has had no qualms about replacing the set at this point and I'm currently waiting for delivery of my new set.

The flicker problem takes a while to set in and eventually becomes very noticeable. It is my opinion that this problem is effecting much more than the 1% that Sony has stated. Apparently they believe they have completly resolved the problems with all sets built in 2003.

I love the picture a Sony set can produce and am hopeful that my new set will bring me trouble free operation. But having experienced this "flicker problem" first hand I dont think its something that can be brushed off as just a fluke with a few sets.

If it were me looking at purchasing another Sony set, I'd go for it if it had a build date in 2003. Anything earlier than that and I'd have to think long and hard about chancing it.

Again, thats all my opinion and experience, so take it as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks