Would you still upgrade to the Paradigm Studio series if...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Jul 17, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I've got the option of upgrading my Paradigm Monitor speakers to the Studio line (100s, 20s, and CC).

I wanted to know would you still upgrade to the Paradigm Studio series if...

You didn't have the chance to audition them?

And you had to power them by just using a Sony DA5ES?

Thanks!
    James

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What's to hear? The Studios are damn fine speakers. Being in Mi, you should have a few places to go audition them. I know there's a dealer in Troy (depending on where you are).

As for powering them with the 5ES? I would feel the 100s would be a little underpowered, but they should still work. Just don't drive them to distortion. You could eventually upgrade the front stage with a 2 or 3 ch. amp down the road or getting a more potent receiver.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

How much is the upgrade? You may get a better deal selling your Monitors and buying in Windsor since your close to the border.

Kevin

4. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I could have auditioned the Reference line when I bought my studio 40's, but I didn't. I was using a pair of mini-monitors and just felt that the studios would sound better. They did, and I'm glad I made the upgrade.
    SO, if you like the Monitors...you'll love the Studios!
    IMHO, of course. [​IMG]

5. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

If you've got the money to spend on Studio 100s, you should be able to find more on a decent amp. If you can't, don't bother with 100s. You'll be better off with Studio 40s and a good sub.

My $0.02.

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I agree get the 100s your reciever will work fine for now and by adding a separate amp later to the front sound stage it will be like getting new speakers again[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Read through the archive and see if you can find a single post in the history of these boards where someone actually thought the Monitor series sounded better than the Studio series. You might find a few people who think the upgrade isn't worth the money, but I doubt you'll find a single post stating that it isn't a sonic improvement. That should tell you something since Paradigm is arguably the most popular speaker brand among audio enthusiasts in North America, so there's no shortage of opinions. It's possible you have 1 in a 1000 ears that will differ, but not likely. Enjoy your Studios.

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I wouldn't buy Paradigm without listening first. Just because they sound great to 1000 people, doesn't mean they will to you. I had the Studio 60's and wasn't happy with them at all.

Don't trust anyone when it comes to speakers. Listen to as many brands as possible and buy what you, *you*, like.

9. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on eventualy buying a new amp, the Outlaw 770 to be exact. But that won't be for another 1/2 a year. I've heard the 100s before, it's just that it was a while ago, but I did like them then.
    James

10. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I know what your feeling. I've started with the basic Paradigm line 4 years ago, them Monitor serie 2 years ago, and now Studio-40 all around.
    I'm powering them with a Yamaha RX-V3200, and going separate with a Silver Rotel RMB-1095 (5X200W) coming in 1 week. Will probably upgrade to the Studio-100 soon (only 1600$ Cdn hehe).
    I really prefer the sound of the Studio serie, but it's a personnal opinion. Do yourself a favor, don't listen to anyone here, and go listen to them with your own amp. Then you will know for sure.
    One last note, I think I'm really happy with the Studio serie and will probably wait a couple of years before upgrading speakers again. I'm focusing on the sources know.

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

James... I own the 20's, 40's and 100's. I like them very much for the cash you spend.

Your amp will be fine as someone has noted until you can upgrade. You may be happy with the Sony power output too. Also, the decision between the 40's and 100's is very personal and a lot depends on space and if the WAF comes into play.

The 100's are more imposing in stature compared to the 40's with the stands. They have a different look IMHO. Also, you can listen to music without a sub using the 100's. For true HT, you would need to have one in your system.

With the 40's again IMHO, you need a sub for music and HT. Personaly, I prefer the 100's and have A/B them in the same enviornment with exact same equipment. That is always very subjective in nature.

Listen to the Paradim's if you can. I would encourage you to do so and also compare them to something in the same price ranges. That is my advice. If you cannot listen to them, then I don't think you can go wrong buying the 100's or the 40's.

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The Studio line sounds totally different from the Monitor line. You should audition before you make a purchase...