Would you spend more on AUDIO or VIDEO part of your HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel Enero, May 7, 2002.

1. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

On EXTREME ends, which HT would you rather live with -- one with sophisticated audio but only a small 24" direct-view TV, or one with budget audio components but with a sophisticated front-projection system with 12'+ screen width?

2. Axel Wolfe

Axel Wolfe Auditioning

I would find it hard to spend as much on the video part of my home theater as i have on the audio. Even with a large projector, i wouldnt come close to what i have spent, and planing to spend on my audio.
    Axel[​IMG]

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'd take audio over video. I spend almost as much time listening to music as I do watching movies so the sound system gets twice as much exposure as the television. Besides, while I currently have a better than average sound system I doubt that I have the most impressive television on the block. It wouldn't take much to improve on a three year old 32" set, even one that is properly calibrated.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'd have to go with the audio portion too, although I couldn't live with a 24" TV. The reason is that audio components really excite me, as does buying them. It's been that way for many, many years. When I buy a home theater magazine, I never really look at the reviews of the televisions, but speakers, amps, receivers, subs are a different story. I just start thinking, "Oh, I'd really like to own that." Right now, I have a 55" Mitsubishi and Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Klipsch, Hsu set up in my bedroom. When my daughter and I were watching Ali this weekend, I was constantly noticing how good the audio was and never noticed the technical part of the video that much.

5. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I spent $300 on my 30" TV, and I listen through the TV speakers.

Given that choice, however, I would pick video. I live in an apartment and besides, I don't like things really loud anyway.

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Video

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Video, while my audio could use an upgrade, I'd much rather have a great looking, big picture. Most of the movies I watch are 2.0 or mono anyway. I rarely watch a disc that really shows off the weaknesses of my system.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Video.

I'm very satisfied with my current audio setup (Capable of DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1) but I'd like a larger TV.

I'd actually buy a 16x9 (when I in the financial shape to do so...) monitor just because I'd like to see Lawrence of Arabia, Moulin Rouge, Doctor Zhivago, Ben-Hur, and North By Northwest in full digital clarity. 0% overscan, too.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I would go with video, simply because I think my eyes are sharper than my ears. It must run in the family, since my dad bought a $2000 TV, but our entire surround system cost about $300, with all speakers and the sub at the low, low price of $100.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As much as I love audio, I must admit that I have spent a great deal more on the video portion of my HT. Considering what decent projectors cost, if I had to build a new HT, the video portion would still cost more.

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Video, without a doubt.
    Many movies, especially older classics, don't have the soundtracks needed to show off a high end audio system. Taking the example to the extreme, the first movies didn't even have sound!
    A pristine image of what is being shown on the screen is important 100% of the time, whereas high quality audio is only needed at certain points in certain movies, such as musicals or action type movies with good sound effects.
    Thank God I don't actually have to make this decision, as I love my audio set-up! [​IMG]