Would you recommend bringing a burned cd to audition speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 6, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm going to audition some speakers I was going to burn some songs from a bunch of different cds (not mp3s) to make a compilation cd to listen to. It's more for convenience sake, so I can listen to several types of music in a short amount of time. I guess my question is this, I know technically a burned copy from an original is supposed to be exact, but is there anything lost in the duplication? Just curious...

Thanks!

James

2. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Auditioning

Doesnt matter,

You could bring in your grandpas old 8-track player and pop in Barry Manilo's Greatest hits and compare the speakers. Just pick the speaker that sounds best, even though as a collective, they will all sound like sh$t

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I wouldn't do it. From my expereince burned cd's sound more compressed, thus affecting dynamics.

4. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I would recommend it. It's a great way to put a variety of different test music all together on one CD. If your burner/software supports DAE, the CD you make will be a bit for bit copy of the original songs (if it doesn't support DAE, the songs will go through the DAC-ADCs of the the soundcard). In my opinion, the only reason the burned CD might sound different is if the CD player at the shop has trouble playing burned CDs, but most don't have a problem these days. Anyway, you could always do a listening test to compare if the burned CD sounds any different.
    Actually, in this case it would be easy to do a blind listening test since switching CDs will not change the volume levels.

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Another problem you may run into with a burned CD is that the demo CD Player or DVD player in the store may not play CD-R's.

I always bring a couple of retail CD's that I know very well instead of making my own disc.

6. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

As long as you get a good rippper to rip the tracks...more specifically Exact Audio Copy from www.exactaudiocopy.de and rip the tracks in "Secure mode" you're going to get a perfect copy. Then just write them to a CD in the same program and it will be perfect 1:1.
    EAC is just about the only software that can do this; perfectly at least.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

What is wrong with Barry Manilo??? I like him. [​IMG]

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not sure if the program I am using supports DAC. I'm currently using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 does anybody if this will do? I think it records PCM 44,100Hz at 16 bit, is this good?

james

9. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

The important part is how you rip the original CD, and EAC is the way to go there. Once you have the music on your computer, you can use any software that can burn audio cd's to burn them. Adaptec is OK. For audio cd's, I use Feurio:
    http://www.feurio.de/
    Andrej

10. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Ok, I just burned the EAC program, am I good to go if I just use that? Do all I need to do is choose uncompressed?

james

11. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

EAC is great.

Just make sure you read through the documentation and run the various checks to make sure the various drive settings done properly. It take a while to get it set up right, but once you've done that, you never have to do it again (unless of course you change CD-ROM drives)

Once that is done, you can just extract the tracks you want to an uncompressed .WAV file. Then use adaptec to burn those .wav files to an audio CD.

I'd bring along a couple non-burned CDs, to audition equipment with as well, on the off chance that the player they have hooked up won't read your disc... (though any store thats after your business should be willing to swap in another player).

12. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I've been using my HP RecordNow software that came with my burner to make exact copies of full CD's. It's really pretty cool, it can read from one cd drive and write to my burner at the same time. It's really pretty sweet.