Would you recommend "Begotton" to a horror fan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Sep 17, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I've heard a lot about this film, but don't know if it's considered horror ... or just wierd.
    I like Eraser Head if that helps with a recommendation [​IMG]

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I would not recommend Begotten to just anyone.. there isn't a single scene in the film that approaches visual coherence. Perhaps it was the print I viewed, but throughout there are indistinct images, most of them hinting at desecration and torture but so muddy, overexposed and dark as to be unwatchable.
    I wasn't horrified by what takes place in the film, more at the suggestion of themes and what takes place. The sounds are creepy throughout, like something Coil would come up with.
    In video stores, Begotten is usually in the 'cult/indie' section.. meaning, it has a devoted group of fans who swear by the film's provocative themes. I think that understanding the Director's political views and intent is necessary to appreciate Begotten.. and unfortunately, none of that is made clear. Do we have any Begotten fans here who can give us a background into the deeper themes, because somewhere between the gutteral gasping and scraping noises, and the figure tied to a chair or carrying a burden across the desert, hounded by a group of shadowy figures, I was utterly lost.
    ~joseph

3. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

The DVD cover offers some, not much, insight into the meanings behind the imagery. If, however, you are just renting the DVD and it doesn't come in the original case, then you're out of luck.
    Here's a perfect example of a film begging for a commentary track.
    IMDb does have a good run of user comments which might help you understand what the film is about.
    http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?101420