Would you rebuy Friends?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Josh_HI, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

If Friends does come out in HD or blue ray, would all you people who bought the show before, buy them in these new formats? I own the whole show on dvd and can say that having them on another format like blue ray or HD doesn't interest me. Why would anyone want to rebuy it.....I don't really see how it can get any better with the exception of more bonus features.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Would depend on the form it took, the cost to purchase, and if the upgrade of picture/sound/features would be worth it.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Nope.....I really don't see how the picture could be improved upon. One set of Friends is enough for me.

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Only if the price I can get for my current set on eBay will cover the cost of the new HD version. In other words, no.

5. MichelleB

MichelleB Stunt Coordinator

Why would I?? There is nothing wrong with the Seasons I have now, I enjoy them very much and they look very good. No thank you.

6. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

It would really depend on the cost and the format it's put out in. And the bonus features.

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I also own all ten seasons I can honestly say that I would NOT repurchase them. Hell it took years to finally complete this set. The last thing I want to do is start all over again. There's no way I'd double dip.

8. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Did they remaster the current DVDs in HD?

9. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Probably not. But cutting down the disc # from 40 to 10 or less would be cool.

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Nah. I really can't see me repurchasing ANY TV shows I currently have. Almost all of them look better than the original broadcasts already.

11. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Hard to say until you see what it looks like. I thought older movies like Casablanca looked great on VHS until I saw DVD.

12. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

If this show was edited on video rather than film (which it probably was as this is '90s TV), then there probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade in picture quality anyway, would there?

I would think the shows that would benefit the most are older filmed series from the '70s and prior, before the advent of editing on video and then, only if the masters are made from the film and not from some sort of video master. Can't see the studios going to that kind of expense for the bulk of older material, only for proven sellers like the original Star Trek.

13. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    No chance!

I think one aspect that Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) is going to fail miserably on is TV shows, I think most people are not going to upgrade there TV shows onto HD-DVD, I mean they cost so much to purchase in the first place I don't think I'd ever considered re-buying them.

Secondly, I don't want classic shows in HD-DVD (shows such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents & Bewitched) they weren't broadcast this way and you begin to get to the point of them not looking as they were originally shown -- an extremist point of view, I know.

14. James Ryfun

James Ryfun Stunt Coordinator

Exactly. This would be the only reason to ever double dip on a Hi-def version of Friends. They could easily fit a season per disc. And that'd be great but...I'm still not gonna do it. [​IMG]

15. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Not unless they pull a Seinfeld and go back to film and remaster/reconstruct it in HD.

16. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Shows I would repurchase in Blu-Ray:

Star Trek: The Original Series
    Star Trek: Enterprise
    Battlestar Galactica: The New One
    Lost
    C.S.I.
    Seinfeld
    Arrested Development

Those are definites! Everything else, I'll just have to see.

17. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

lost and 24, maybe buffy, angel and firefly are the only shows i would re-buy. i doubt The Simpsons would be much of an upgrade. Enterprise , if i collected Star Trek, would be one of those i would upgrade, cause that show was actually shot digitaly

18. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I don't own Friends, so I might be interested. I never watched it much in broadcast, but I catch the reruns once in a while on TBS and usually like it. I should have take my chance and gotten the whole ten season set at DDD in November when you could get it for $160 during the 20% off sale. As it is I'm really not willing to pay more than $20 per season. If they make a set available in any format for under $200 I may buy it.

19. Dean C

Dean C Second Unit

Only if they cut down on the discs amount and also wouldn't the discs be more better to look after cause those discs can take more beating and if any scratches they won't be wrecked as much as DVD's.

So um Yes I would if these 2 options were to be. Also I would for Seinfeld too.

20. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I wouldn't buy them at all ... Friends is one of those shows that's fine to watch on television but to own it on DVD? ARGH! I'd rather burn myself alive than to own the series on DVD.