Would you rather be a genius amongst idiots or an idiot amongst genius’s?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Giles, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Example one:

You work in an environment where you are the smartest out of the group. Everyone turns to you when there is a question or when advice is needed. The down side is, when you step outside of this environment, it hits you. You’re not as smart as you thought you were. Your work place just happens to be filled with the mentally less fortunate people.

Example two:

You work at a prestigious University and everyone around you is always at the top of his or her game. Seemingly, out-thinking you, resolving problems much faster and much more efficiently to you would ever imagine. The down side is, you always feel unintelligent.

These two are just examples of what the difference would be. You can also relate this to your spouse vs. work environment. Or being around kids vs. adults. etc.

How would you like to live?

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

3. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Disagree with others?

Well that's not really an option in this question. I'm assuming your talking about being equal to your counterpart, and I'm sure there are times that this will always hold true.

But my question refers to all the other instances. I'm sure there are a group of people on both ends of the spectrum that don’t have to worry about this. Like the smartest of the smartest or the dumbest of the dumbest. But of course the majority of the population is somewhere in the middle, where they have experienced times where they have felt really smart to the person next to them or the opposite.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm pretty much in Situation One providing in-house AV tech support, but to all of you it's old hat, drop in the bucket stuff.

To some extent I've always been around people slightly smarter than I. I'm smart enough to maintain a conversation with them, but certainly not enough to do what they do. For example, my closest friends are computer programmers and network techs. I don't consider myself an intellectual slouch, but I'm definitely no PhD candidate.

I'm pretty much fine with how things are. I try to challenge myself, knowing there is always more to learn. Do the best with what ya got, I say.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Try my nightmare situation. Having the most knowledge in a group and being surrounded by idiots who think they are smarter than me. Check that, they are convinced they are smarter than me, and management lets them make actual decisions! I talk myself down from the ledge at least once a day.[​IMG]

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i've been in both situations, and as long as you can keep your ego (and self esteem) in check, it's not too bad. i've also been in jeff's situation, and i was fortunate enough to have the ability to leave, which i did. very frustrating, indeed.

CJ

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'd live in example one.. but make it look like I'm living in example two.

I'm pretty good at playing stupid when I have to. [​IMG]

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I don't know, I think that just simplifies the choices too much. Life isn't that black or white, smart or stupid.

Like a buddy I had in college who wrote in-depth essays for the school paper. Brilliant political analysis that I could barely plumb the depths of, much less ever be able to write myself. But when I saw him try to put together a futon by using a screwdriver as a hammer on the screws, obviously genious has its limits. I'm not kidding either, he had no idea how to use a screwdriver.

I like the way things are now for me: smarter than some, dumber than others. I try to pass on what I know to the dumber ones and get help from the smarter ones when I need it. It works out fairly well most of the time.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

similarily, i had a college roomate who got a masters in mathmatics - obviously a bright cookie. but i had to show her how to use the mini-blinds. so go figure...

really this kind of reminds me of the whole joe six pack thing we sometimes talk about around here. the way i look at it, we're all experts in something, but j6p's in others.

10. BrettB

BrettB Producer

"Would you rather be a genius amongst idiots or an idiot amongst genius’s?"

Well, I hang out here at the AHL, so I guess it's "genius amongst idiots".

[​IMG]

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Well, it seems I can now relate to Jeff thanks to Brett's comment [​IMG]

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and have more than my share of Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments, but most days at work I feel like my brain is being sucked out my skull. I work with a person who has voiced the following convictions to me...

1. Space shuttles are entirely plated with 24k gold to protect the astronauts from gamma radiation.

2. The great pyramid was a nuclear reactor for the ancient Egyptians.

3. It wouldn't matter if all the trees on Earth were cut down because underwater coral produces more than enough oxygen to sustain our atmosphere.

4. King Tut died of lead poisioning from all the eye makeup he wore.

5. A pentium Celeron processor will overheat and burn up in less than a second if the cooling fan on it goes out. No other processor, just the Celeron.

6. The best thing to use to sharpen a butcher knife is a screwdriver.

7. Every 6 months you should completely disassemble your computer, vacuum the case out and replace any thermal paste and insulation on the processors and RAM sticks. The dust which accumulates inside the case will cause shorts and fry your pc.

These are just a few of the things I'm subjected to on a daily basis. Most of the time, I just tune their voice out and all I hear is "blah blah blah blah" but the occasional bit of information slips through and makes me want to go hide in the bathroom for the rest of the night. [​IMG]

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Clinton, you mean you didn't know all that stuff?

C'mon man... get with the times...

We all learn that stuff in kindergarten.

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i do this to my pc, but not because of that dust causing shorting nonsense. i dont replace the thermal paste on the cpu once i do it the first time, but i do disassemble and clean things out every few months or so. before i made this a habit, the dust miraculously never caused me any problems [​IMG]

clinton, do you work in the field of computers? i ask because, there are some computer related items on your list, but also quite a few non-computer related items. or do you just work with know-it-alls (who really know nothing)?

CJ

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I think I work with Yogurt, the Everlasting Know-It-All.

I'm not in a computer-related field, but I the person I work with brags that they have two associates degrees (and therefore knows how to run a mfg. facility better than the plant manager who has a master's in both business management and process engineering), worked for Intel on their prototype projects, was a pilot, a truck driver, a missionary, is schooled in quantum physics, built an addition onto their home by following instructions in a DYI book (yet the mystery which is electrical wiring completely eludes them), completed a 1 month master's course in (I forget the subject) in only 6 hours and scored the highest on the test, and their grandfather was Charles Manson's attorney.

All those credentials and this person works the evening shift at a mfg/distribution center making about $8/hr. Go figure... [​IMG]

16. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I wish there was a choice as to which situation to be in, but usually I am in one or the other, when I am least able to deal with it.

I worked graveyard shift at an answering service for nearly 7 years. I lost count of how many people I had on Church emergency lines screaming at me because I refused to awaken the minister at some weird hour because they wanted to discuss such and such a Bible verse one more time. I had a hard enough time reaching ministers for real emergencies, such as deaths, expected deaths, or talking someone down off a ledge - one night, literally!

Then of course, there were lines where techs were calling in for details of some outage or other we had to relay to them, and they would be asking for technical details that the caller "wants to discuss with the technician ONLY." Then I would be chewed out for relaying a non-emergency, when I had little to go on other than the caller's assurance that it was indeed, urgent.

So I have been in both situations. Genius amongst idiots and idiot amongst (alleged) genius.

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

A long time ago, back in the Boy Scouts, I remember a new recruit approaching me to take his Basic Knots test. Nothing complicated (to a Scout) here, just Reef Knot, Sheet Bend, Bowline, Clove Hitch (and probably a few more). This guy was in the "gifted programme", i.e. a bunch of kids who had scored top scores in the primary school leaving exam and were supposed to be the smartest in the country. He was totally clueless; when I then took it upon myself to teach him how to tie the knots (remember, he came to me purporting to be ready to take the test), he just couldn't get it right. Two left hands, if you will.

18. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im no genius but I definitely live amongst idiots.

19. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Clinton I didn't know that we worked at the same place?[​IMG] I work with a guy that is almost just like the person you are talking about. I will give one example. The other day I am walking around our warehouse and he stops me and says "Look at this." He then proceeds to drop a rubber bouncing ball on the ground and catch it in his hand. He then looks directly in my eyes and says "You know since the earth is constantly rotating I can never drop the ball and then catch it in the exact same place that I dropped it from." In my head I just wanted to punch him in the face but instead I smiled and said "Coooollll". Then I went on my way.

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

OMG, that's funny. You should tell him that the Earth is also roatating around the Sun which is rotating the Galatic core at several million miles per hour. So we must never roll down the window on our Earth or we'll sucked right out!