What's new

Would you like trailers before the movie? (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Besides some studios, like Touchstone and Miramax, I've yet to own a DVD that plays other movie's trailers before the feature like a movie on VHS does. Universal sometimes adds other trailers on their DVD's, under their special features menu, but you'll be lucky to get more then 1-2.

What do you guys think of all major studios including trailers of their uncoming releases? Maybe even past movies, with the same director or leading role?

I say, as long as you have an option to skip them, why not include them?

Dean

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
pffft. I could do without having trailers before the movie. I paid for the movie so there is no need to throw in commericals for other movies.

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
The only two reasons for me to support more trailers on DVDs are: 1.It is a way for me to hear about movies I may not have heard about. (but the more I hang around here the less likely that becomes) and 2. I love trailers and having a collection of them on various DVDs is something that I enjoy, especially if they are shown in OAR. Putting more trailers on DVDs will give me more chances to get more trailers and more rare ones that are not on that films DVD (which happens from time to time and really bugs me).

-Eric

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I agree with ChrisLee I want to get right to the movie. If I had my way all DVDs would start the movie right off and not even go to a menu. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing trailers THE FIRST TIME, but after that I don't need them. Make them an extra.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Chris and Mark. I don't really want anything played before the menu loads. I already dislike having to "skip-skip-skip" on the Disney Gold Collection titles, since they seem to have disabled the "menu" button.

By all means, put the trailers on the disc as a special feature. I'll watch them all once, guaranteed... but I don't want a lot of hassle to get the movie started.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Count me in as the kinda person who prefers to have the movie start once I pop the disc in.

Still, I love trailers, and want them on my DVDs. Just put them in the special features section where I can access them when I want to.

Dennis_HT

Agent
Just as long as they are not "forced" trailers. I don't mind them as an extra but they are not that important to me. The only trailer on a dvd that I really enjoyed was the LOTR rings trailer on the Rush Hour 2 dvd.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Forgo the trailers please. They are ok the first time or 2 but after that I tire of them. I don't mind if they are accesible form the menus but no auto trailers please.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Well, what I WANT about trailers, is there be a "standard" in their quality. All anamorphic DD 5.1. That way, we can collect them easily. Because as of now, all trailers are treated differently on each different dvd. Can't make your own trailer dvd like that.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
What I have done is assemble a dvd of various trailers in groups of 3. And I play a group before I start a movie, along with a little home theater intro I made and other little things like the reel countdown.

I found that it really adds to the home theater experience, and its also given me a reason to revisit alot of titles in my collection after seeing the trailer again.

-- Matt

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
While I DO NOT want the trailers for the main feature before the movie I don't mind unforced trailers for upcoming releases up front - especially if they appear as they did in the theater without the cheesy voice over introductions.

I DO miss the opening THX, Dolby Digital, & DTS opening sequences that were present on nearly all LD's. Yes it's better now, with the big titles having these (and most THX releases) but sadly most DVDs still lack these opening sequences. I think it really adds to the home theater experience....I'll even admit to "toggling" from an LD opening sequence and the "qued-up" DVD movie when I have guests (with some practice it can be seemless!) :b

Rich

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
NO! NO! NO!

If you want to include trailers, make them an option from the menu system, and sell them as a "feature". Do not place trailers beofre the movie loads!

NO!

-Vince

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I love trailers. It also gives us time to get the popcorn ready etc...when everyone finally gets here. Some are running late...just like a movie theater. Only thing missing is the gigantic screen, irritating cell phones, crying babies, backseat commentary, shoes sticking to floor, and of course the ad for moviefone.com! ;)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I agree with ChrisLee I want to get right to the movie. If I had my way all DVDs would start the movie right off and not even go to a menu. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing trailers THE FIRST TIME, but after that I don't need them. Make them an extra.
Well, I like going to the menu first but trailers before would be (and is) a very bad idea.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
This may get me in trouble, but what I am about to say is said half-jokingly.

Everyone here is all about recreating the theater experience at home. If a movie is different than what was shown in the theater, people complain.

Trailers are shown in the theater. Before the movie. And you can't skip them. Yet it annoys the very same people who want to duplicate the theatrical experience.

End of rant.

As for myself, I do not mind them loading up before the movie, as long as pressing "Menu" brings up the menu.

Jimmy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks