What's new

Would you ever 'walk' you cat? (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
My guess would be, aside from marking the ground with their scent, it just feels damn good to them. My house has no corse surfaces inside, so it's not often my cat gets to "scratch" his own back. And he absolutely loves when I brush him, he can not get enough of it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One of the other things that cracks me up about Fred, my white kitty, is how he'll just lay on his back, all sprawled out like he owns the place. I guess he feels pretty secure to be on his backside like that.

Stefan A

Second Unit
I'd walk my cat, but I doubt he'd let me. I tried to walk a cat once but he just refused to go anywhere.

My cat loves to go outside. But, he always goes wandering through the sewars. Then when he comes back in, he eats and then throws up. He's getting into something down there and it's preventing me from letting him out much. He begs and meows but I usually don't let him out anymore. I feel bad because I know he likes it.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
One of the other things that cracks me up about Fred, my white kitty, is how he'll just lay on his back, all sprawled out like he owns the place.
Yup, my cat does that too. I've heard they only do that when they are comfortable with their surroundings. If you ever watch a nature show, you'll notice lions do that too.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, cats can swim and quite well too. Most just don't like it much (they can't shake themselves dry like a dog or horse) however some breeds, like the Turkish Van, seem to take to water quite well. My dad grew up on a houseboat and had a cat that would always go swimming with him in the river.

On the larger end of the scale, tigers love water.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Speaking of swimming, an intersting "fact" I heard was that all mammals can swim if their life depends on it. It just depends how far and how well.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just breezed to the end of this thread to say.. my wife and I used to take evening walks around the block. And our cat, if she was outside at the time, would follow us. It was kind of comical. She loved to sneak through bushes and come bolting after us if we go too far ahead.

As far as cats swimming. I've always heard if you get them used to water at a young age, they will lose their fear and be happy swimmers.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Apes can't swim, they're too dense

As far as rolling on the concrete, they just like to be scratched and it does a great job. Same thing with rubbing hard surfaces.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've never heard of 'house cats' before. I suppose this must be an inner-city or apartment thing. My cats have always been free to come and go as they please, and I often don't see them for a good ten hours as they do their 'rounds' of the area. If they're ever unable to get out they scratch at the door and meow until someone opens a door or window.

One of the other things that cracks me up about Fred, my white kitty, is how he'll just lay on his back, all sprawled out like he owns the place.
My larger cat (he's actually quite enormous, I think he was 'fixed' a little early when he was a kitten) loves to stretch out like this all over the house. I've tripped over him several times when he does this on the stairs or around a corner. He loves having his stomach scratched when he's like this.

Adam

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
....he'll just lay on his back, all sprawled out like he owns the place.
:laugh: I know exactly what you mean!
I think most all people here with furry feline companions experience a lot of the same activity. It seems nearly all cats act exactly the same way in many respects. Like ....
The quote above about "sprawling out like he owns the joint". :) My cute-as-a-button feline loves me to rub his tummy while he's rolled over on his back (purring so loud it could wake the dead...would love to capture his great purring skills with a subwoofer and 5.1 Dolby Digital! :) )
Does your cat like to "bury" imaginary things that aren't really there? It cracks me up when ALL three of my kitties do this after they're done with their food! They think they have to bury the empty dish/plate or cover it up with imaginary kitty litter or something.
And what about those "ear rubs" that cats are ever soooooo fond of!? I could literally rub my cat's ears (and chin region) all day long, and they'd eat up every moment (while rattling the windows with that industrial-strength purring motor they have built in. :) ).
Never have tried the "cat on a leash" bit. Mine are strictly inside felines. And, as said above, the house IS theirs (and they don't let you forget it!).

Julie K

Screenwriter
And what about those "ear rubs" that cats are ever soooooo fond of!?
Oh yes, cats do love to have their ears rubbed. I can rub ears until my hand cramps up and they never seem to get tired of it. The weird thing is that a lot of cat lovers don't seem to know how much kitties enjoy ear rubs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When you rub a cat's ears, their eyes become shut, and it's the closest thing you'll see to a smile on a cat.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
My cat used to walk with me along the bank of the lake behind our house. She would do her cat thing, sniffing bushes, eating grass, etc. The walk out would be very slow. When I turned round to walk back she would hang back. Then when I got about halfway back I would start to run - that was her signal to run as fast a she could to see if she could beat me back to the house. She always did! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Attila the Cat goes into ecstatic swoon when I rub his ears delicately. That's when he purrs his loudest.

And he is a housecat, Adam. Here in Los Angeles, it would be suicide to let a cat roam. Motorists here care only for themselves; they even view pedestrians crossing the street with contempt and only hold back from hitting you simply because LAPD would be onto them--and delay them in the process.

I'd love to let my Attila--who is a full tomcat--go out and roam and sire cubs right and left. But I am more interested in his living a long life in excellent health.

Users who are viewing this thread