What's new

Would you do this to survive? (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
They say you can go days without food right? I don't think I would have made it very long without food. Then after not eating I would not have the energy to repel or walk. He must have one heck of a home theater he didn't want to let go to waste. To answer the question though No I would have died.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great thread! :D

Nick,

I read that article in MAXIM too, pretty intense stuff.

If the guys arm was crushed under a boulder that heavy, even if it was 200lbs you have to figure in inertia as the rock fell, would probably have mangled the arm beyond the point of saving it, I doubt he made any effort to retrieve and save it. I would have been concerned with getting the hell out of their and finding help first and foremost.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
This happened not terribly far from where I live. According to interviews with the sheriff and search and rescue, the boulder was much heavier than 200lbs...more like 1000lbs. Also, they said would have never found him in time to save his live if he hadnt have done what he did. Plus, the guy was in a slot canyon which is basically a crack in the earth so I'm sure cell service wouldnt have been available (pretty remote area as well).

Slot canyons are fun as heck to explore but they can definitely be dangerous.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't going to say anything, but I know most people could lift 200lbs the 5 inches or so for a few seconds to pull an arm out. A 1000lbs seems more like you would have to cut your arm off.

If I can lift my 286 pound tv up on one corner to clean under it, I'd hope when my adrenalin is going crazy I could do 200.

Maybe they were just some crazy circumstances.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 200lb thing is obviously bullshit. It took a crew of rangers hydraulic equipment to lift the rock and retrieve the dead arm (which was taken to a mortuary).

A grip hoist, a type of strong winch that uses half-inch steel cable, was used to pull the boulder up. Hydraulic jacks were placed on top of wooden cribbing on the floor of the narrow canyon. The jacks were used to push the boulder up and keep it from getting caught on the craggy canyon wall.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/908232.asp?0cv=CB10

If they needed that gear, the rock likely weighed more than 200 lb. Two or three rangers could pick up a 200 rock with one hand tied behind their backs. The gear they packed in to do the job may have weighed 200lb. :)

Again, don't climb alone. Don't even hike alone if your trails are very secluded.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the problem is his body already suffered mass trauma and was probably in considerable shock. i know adrenaline is a pretty good thing (what's the story about the mom who lifted a car to rescue her kid) but does it work the same way if you're already all banged up?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
He did an interview this morning so I finally got the answer to my bone question..."Once prepared, Ralston broke two bones in his wrist and then used the dull blade of his multi-tool pocket knife to saw through his flesh."

So, any of us could have done that. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks