Would you consider this system basic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    My friend NathanP keeps telling me that my equipment is basic what do you guys think.
    Here is what I got
    Fronts, Sony SS-U521AV 3-way Tower speakers
    Rears, Realistic 2-way Nova-16 bookshelf speakers
    Center, Kenwood JL-670 digital 3-way tower speaker
    Subwoofer, soon to be 3 Cu. Ft. sealed shiva
    A/V receiver, Sherwood RD-7103, DD,DTS,DPL 100 watts x5
    8ohm
    TV, Sony 20" monitor
    DVD, Raite AVphile 715
    CD player, Symphonic 5-disc CD changer
    Sub amp, Onkyo stereo amplifier TX-21 (temporary)
    I also have a digital cable TV tuner.
    All of my speakers acoustics match almost perfectly, the front R and L speakers have a 2" cone tweeter 4" midrange and 12” woofer, each of my rear speakers has 2” cone tweeter and 8” woofer. I also have some EV interface:1 series 2 studio monitors that I’m going to mount in the rear as soon as I buy a speaker switch. All of my speakers are in excellent condition, the Sony’s and Kenwood’s are a about 3 years old and the realistic’s are about 5 years old. I bought the Sony’s at a thrift store in perfect condition for $35 and later found out there worth $350! I bought the Kenwood’s at a garage sale for $10 and a while ago I saw the same Kenwood’s except with a 8” woofer go for $200 on ebay. I hope to have pictures up tonight so you can see my setup. I guess what i'm really trying to ask is how would you rate my setup, do you think its okay, good, bad or what? I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve my system.
    Ryan
    P.S. if you would like to see the receiver here is a link http://www.sherwoodusa.com/home_audio/hprec7103_fs.htm (I know the web site says 100 watts x 5 into 6 ohms but my manual says different)
    [Edited last by Ryan T on October 08, 2001 at 12:46 PM]
    [Edited last by Ryan T on October 08, 2001 at 01:22 PM]

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Basically speaking, it depends who you ask. Basically if your system sounds good then basically it's doing it's job. However, I'm sure some people could always make suggestions to you about what would help improve the basic sound of your system but then again, you would be upgrading for the sake of someone else's taste and not necessarily because you were unhappy with the performance of your systems capability. So basically, are you happy with your systems playback? If not, then I would probably get the matching center for your fronts. If they don't have a matching center then I would look into at least selling my fronts for a pair of speakers that have a matching center.
    Then again, if you're happy with the sound of your system then keep it as it is and let the music play because basically we all strive for a system that basically keeps a smile on our face and keeps our feet tappin.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
    [Edited last by Martice on October 08, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Yes, Son...
    That's basic..
    [​IMG]

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I'm sorta happy with there performance. I’ve been thinking about replacing them because I’ve been having some trouble with them, the biggest problem is that sony does not sell a matching center speaker. The only other things I don’t like about them is I think the treble is just a tad bit to raspy, and there kinda big my room is only 10x14 so I cant place them in the idea location without them getting in the way. I think I will
    Try and sell them, maybe I will start a new topic about what speaker package I should get for under 200 preferably one without a sub since I’m getting a shiva. Thanks for the advice.
    Ryan

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

i doubt you can find a 5 speaker package worth "upgrading" to under $200. Save up a little while longer and look at the Energys.
    On a side note, I think you two should enjoy your stuff and spend a little less time poking fun at each other's gear. No matter how nice it is, I'm sure there are folks here with systems that will smoke them. If you want to play the "mine's bigger than yours" game, you're only going to lose.

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Ryan, if you look reall hard you can find some PSB Alpha's used for about $150.00 used and under $200 for a brand new pair. If money is that big of an issue, you can always get the matching center later but the plus in this equation is that you have front speakers that have a center channel that you can upgrade to at a later time when funds are more plenty.
    Just a bit of advice. Don't purchase audio equipment like a value meal. Time is your friend. If funds are hard to come by, buy piece by piece. This will not only allow you to buy at a more comfortable rate but it will also allow you to evaluate your next move more carefully leaving less room for regrettable mistakes.
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

7. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi, thanks for the advice rob about enjoying the system I got now that makes allot of sense. Anyway about the speakers I was kinda looking for something that has bigger front speakers because I listen to allot of music. One set of speakers that I’m thinking about right now is the fluance AV-HTB, here is the link http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html they are the type of speakers I would like to have, nice specs for the amount of money and they look really nice to, also fit within my budget, do any of you guys know if these are any good? I think the reason I would not get the energy’s is because first of all I'm only 15 years old and get about $100 a month so it would take me awhile to save up and get them second my parents probably would not let me spend that much money on one set of speakers, another reason is because the reviews said there not very good for music and that’s about 70% of what I use my speakers for. I would say my limit is $300. I think I could get better speakers than what I have right now for around that price but I guess I could be mistaken. Thanks for the advice though I really do appreciate it, and if you have any more ideas about what I could do I would be happy to hear them.
    Ryan
    [Edited last by Ryan T on October 08, 2001 at 06:14 PM]