What's new

Would You Care if 2nd Disc SE Features were SD? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

You know we are atleast a year away from 50 gigs discs being standard, and more likely 2 years. It's all well and good to go on about the 50 gig discs, but we'll have to live with the format for a long time before we can take a dual layer disc for granted.

If you really love extras, the DVD format already can go above and beyond to provide them. Really the main attraction of HD is the video and audio quality. If the quality of the presentation isn't the main focus of the 1st years of the format, it's going to flop big time. There are already people claiming it isn't a large quality jump over DVD, and they will need to pull out all the stops to convince these people.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

How big (in gigabytes) is a 2-hour film in HD?

Also, to those saying that not many people care about extras, well that was one of the reasons I became a collector of DVDs. Not for the quality of video or audio (although that's of course a major point too), but for all the informative commentaries and documentaries - pieces of cinema history.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

My whole thing with the HD formats is that they want you to buy because they are high performance on both audio and video. If the extras are taking anything away from the presentation of the movies, it defeats the purpose of upgrading. We had to live with compromised video quality on many DVDs because of extras, so it'd be nice if they'd live up to the standard they are claiming and deliver a no compromise feature presentation. The only presentaion compromise that should be made for extras is the inclusion of a 2nd disc for them.

If you feel the presentation is secondary to the extras, then just buy DVDs. The DVD market is being well taken care of as far as extras are concerned.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say A/V quality is secondary to supplements for me, personally. True, I wouldn't buy a Superbit DVD where a loaded multidisc version exists (Black Hawk Down, etc.), but I also wouldn't buy a feature-laden disc if the video is subpar (non-anamorphic, for instance).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks