Would you call me paranoid?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Preston, Jul 17, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I just say I'm cautious. I just got my new DIY speakers from Brian at Rutledge Audio Design and I am very happy with them. Here's where my neighbor thinks I'm paranoid. I got the T-1 towers which don't have screens they look great without them by the way. So when I am not going to be home I turn the speakers towards my entertainment center so if any of the neighbors kids come by they won't get the urge to punch in the center of the speakers. By doing this I feel like I am doing a good job of avoiding problems. Like who's gonna pay when they get messed up. I try to take real good care of my belongings. I invited some friends over the other night and they brought thier 1 year old and everytime he got within 2 feet of the TV or Speakers I got nervous. Thank God nothing happened. Is anyone else as "paranoid" as me when it comes to their HT gear?

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

You are not being paranoid, you are being careful, because the reality is that 'IF" a child pokes at your driver and leaves a permanant crinkle in it, noone is going to step up and replace that driver. I have a custom center channel built into my armoire style entertainment center, right below the TV where most people would put a VCR or DVD player. I have no grill on it, and i also cringe when my newphew is within 2 feet of it. Rather than turning the speakers inward everyday...how about some homemade slipcovers with a hard insert in the front.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Protecting your investment and avoiding a possible "situation" isn't at all paranoid, it's smart.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's not paranoid. Your're just protecting something you invested money in, wanting to keep it in mint condition. People do it all the time with electronic and with collectibles like sports cards/memorabilia, coins, stamps, comic books, DVDs, antique cars, action figures, etc. As long as you're happy keeping them the way you do, ignore other people's comments. I'm sure they have stuff that they like to keep safe.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree. If you didn't have children and worried about a burglar coming in and punching the speakers, that'd be paranoid. [​IMG] Or if you'd be so afraid to "wear them out", that you didn't actually use them...

I also agree with Tim: nobody else is going to pay for it if something happens, so you're doing the right thing. I wonder how long you'll be able to keep it up though before you say "ah, just screw it, nothing will happen anyway... " [​IMG]

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I plan on building a cabinet for all of my HT equipment and keeping it under lock and key. (We have a baby on the way)

All of my front speakers will have covers, and the side and rear speakers will be well out of reach. I'm just not sure of what to do with the screen? I can just see the finger painting fun that can be had on that![​IMG]

I guess it will be high enough off the ground that I won't have to worry about it for a few years anyway.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I can't believe someone would feel the need to call you "paranoid" for being cautious. As StaphneA said, they probably do the same thing with their "valuable" stuff. Just because they don't understand that you care about your HT equipment, doesn't mean that you should feel like some weirdo because you protect it.

I'd rather be paranoid than ignorant [​IMG]

p.s. The definition of Paranoid is: "Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others", so the next time someone says you're paranoid, say "Thanks!" [​IMG]

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

9. David Preston

Thanks everybody for making me feel normal again. About a hour after I posted this morning My wife and I were eating breakfast and she said I want the speakers turned back around because they look stupid like that. I said yeah right they are staying the way they are. We argued about it and never finished the subject but they are still turned sideways. Don't get me wrong she loves HT stuff too. She don't have a problem with me getting stuff like within the the last 6mo I have upgraded everything except DVD player thats coming next month. She is real supportive about my HT addiction. She was the one that wanted a 65" RPTV instead of the 57". Hopefully she will understand why I'm doing this.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

You only turn them sideways?? Geez....I must be really "paranoid" then. When I am away on vacation, I take my Energy bookshelf speakers off of their stands. Then I put them on the floor, facing the walls. This is with a speaker that has a plastic "guard" over its tweeter, and a plastic grill/screen that doesn't allow fingers to touch any of its drivers. Then I cover them up with towel, just in case any direct sunlight get leaked through the mini-blinds. Remember, this is when no one is at home.

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

12. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Paranoid? Yes, but that's a good thing. However, you aren't nearly anal enough. If you were truly anal then once you had your speakers set up perfectly you would never touch them again. Spending hours with a laser level and a measuring tape trying to get just the right distance and toe-in everytime you want to watch a movie...yikes! [​IMG]

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Click here and go to the bottom of the page to see my recommendation for a laser level with stud finder (for mounting surround speakers) [​IMG]

14. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I used to be the same way. All of my stuff was in MINT condition. Then I got married. Suddenly, things get set on top of the TV or on the speakers etc. Remotes get lost or get food on them. I kept it together pretty well. I tried not to get mad. I'm sure there are PLENTY of thing I do that annoy her. Then I had kids and all bets are off. Now there is no hope of ever keeping things nice. I just look at it as I now have a built in excuse to upgrade everything because it will eventually get broken. When this happens, I'll just buy the next model up [​IMG].

While this does suck, I must admit that getting married and becoming a father is the best thing I've ever done and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I do know how you feel though...

15. David Preston

Ohh yeah you probably figured out by now I am also on of those people that try to park away from everyone else. I will call myself paranoid about door dings.

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Now that I think about the definition of paranoid, I'm starting to think if we are using the correct terminology here. Not wanting your speakers to get wrecked is not what I'd consider an "irrational fear". As David mentioned, parking your car away from everyone elses isn't an "irrational fear" either.

Protecting yourself from "real" dangers is not what paranoia is about. Maybe if you fear that bats could fly through your chimney and attack the speakers because they are trying to destroy the source of the high frequencies, then YES, I'd say you're paranoid. [​IMG] But protecting your investment from everyday accidents is more "over protective" than Paranoia.

17. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I totally agree that being cautious is not being paranoid.

I love my cousins, who are five and eight. They are somewhat rambunctious, though, and generally I put away a couple of "nice" things when they come over. It's not paranoia at all. I'd be an idiot to leave, say, some valuable comic books out on the coffee table when people are coming over who would not neccessarily know the value of them or how to treat them. An uncovered speaker likewise seems like an easy target.

I'm also a freak who's trying to get the speaker positioning "just right" (though I don't generally use measuring tapes etc, I just do it by ear [​IMG] ), so turning the speakers in would be a bad solution for me. I'd look for some kind of grill or covering, or position them in such a way that people are not likely to go near them. In the last place I lived, the coffee table was pretty close to the TV, so no one went up near the screen because the space between the table and the TV wasn't easy to walk through...and as a result, there were never any fingerprints on the screen, but no one felt that it was "forbidden" to go near it (which is almost like an invitation).

I have some very nice Scalextric 1/32 scale slot cars. I race them, even the more expensive ones, because what's the point of having them if you don't race them? Yes, some of the nice cars have developed some damage, and I feel a little bad about that.

When the kids come over, I put away the nice cars. I am willing to race my nice cars hard, and potentially crash them, but I'm not about to let someone else smash 'em up. That's my priveledge. [​IMG]

Plus, they're entertained by the crashes, so I let them crash cars that are both going to survive the crash and also not that pretty to begin with.

18. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

If you are raising a baby, it's a good idea to have a few things within their reach that they are not allowed to touch. That way you can reinforce your authority on a regular basis and they will learn the meaning of don't touch rather than everthing within my reach is OK.

Now I wouldn't suggest using your most expensive Ming vase, but pick a few thing that are obviously not children's toys as your decoy traing object.

Others will marvel at your good parenting skill when you are visiting and you tell your child not to touch stuff and they don't.

Andy

19. David Preston

Andrew thats some good advise. I am not a Dad yet but my wife is wanting a baby soon so I could use all the advise given. I once saw on t.v. some show that were giving parenting tips but didn't get a chance to watch it all. The only thing I remember is when the baby crys to get picked up and you do it every time and he stops crying how do you espect to break him/her of it. Thanks for the tip.

20. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter