Would you buy "open box" equipment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Napier, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Michael Napier

Michael Napier Stunt Coordinator

Last night I was at Best Buy with some friends. I saw some open-box RePlay devices on display. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions but the price was $129.00 for the 30 hour units (I believe they were the Panasonic Showstopper units).
    Has anyone ever bought anything like this? I wonder if it would include warranty, RePlay subscription, documentation and remote control? I didn't see any of that stuff on the table.
    Anyway, I was just thinking about it cause that seems like a great price.
    -Mike

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, my DVD player is a floor model I bought from the Lechmere going-out-of-business flea market in '97 or '98, and I've never had any problems with it, so open-box isn't necessarily a totally bad idea. I did receive the remote, documentation and warranty information with it, even though they weren't necessarily on the table.
    Since you've got to talk to a salesperson when buying open-box items anyway, just ask them if you would receive all that stuff.

3. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

All RePlay units come with subscription (though some could be a demo mode?).
    Typically Open Box stuff gets the full warranty (it does not say anywhere on the receipt used), though if the manufacturer knows about the product from a previous user the warranty could have started then (esp with boxes that call in like RePlay and TiVo). Get the serial # and call up RePlay.
    As far as missing remotes and manuals and such - if the sales droid can't dig them up you will need to buy new ones. Thats part of the deal. The Phillips TiVo remotes are $38 shipped and very few universal remotes are pre-programmed for RePlay/TiVo use.

4. Michael Napier

Michael Napier Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. I might go in and talk to the salesman (ugh Best Buy kids).
    I will have to do a little thinking about this. My apartment is laid out pretty weird and I don't have a phone jack anywhere near my incoming TV cable outlet.
    Maybe I should look into those wireless phone jack things.
    Thanks, again.
    -Mike

5. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I got my sony t60 as an "open box" buy at CC and I haven't had any problems. I swore I would never buy an "open box" item just because there's something about getting that new toy home and opening up the box. But I haven't had any problems. The unit I got had just come back 2 days before. The guy who returned it was never able to acquire a signal. At least that's the story I got. But, there wasn't anything recorded on it and everything was still set to default, so maybe they were actually telling the truth and not just trying to unload used crap.
    Anyway, I got the unit for the rebated price of $299, and still got the $100 rebate. I received my rebate yesterday, so total price paid was $220, tax and all.
    I guess it's just like rolling the dice though.