What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I am the biggest supporter of OAR that I know this side of the Mississippi. However, I am not going to go ballistic if I cannot watch certain films OAR. For some films, it can be quite hard to get them OAR. In my film class, we were only able to get a Hong Kong film Chun King Express in MAR. Even though I don't like viewing a film in MAR, I still thouroughly enjoyed the film and reccomend it to you all. Although I fully support OAR, and will do what I can to get a film OAR, I am not going to dismiss a film if it has not been released in OAR yet. So in the case of Chun King Express MAR will suffice until I can see it OAR. However, watching Star Warsin MAR is a complete NO NO and totally against the rules in my book! LONG LIVE LASERDISC!

AJ Garman

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I own two pan & scan discs:

Hellraiser 3 (Because it isn't available in widescreen).

Child's Play (I have the rest, and I needed to complete the collection).

"Warlock" is a favourite of mine, but only available in pan & scan. I still have not bought it, in hope that they may someday release it in OAR.

If in 3 years, it is still not in Widescreen, I might buy it. I have the VHS of it right now, so I'm not in any rush, even if it is one of my favourite films of all time.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I haven't bought one yet, but I've been so tempted to buy Fearless by Peter Weir for so long since it's only P&S. Argh! :thumbsdown:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I have two pan/scam only discs in my collection:
The Ipcress File (R2) - I didn't realise it was pan/scam, but I bought it very cheap, and now that I have the OAR R1 Anchor Bay release, I use it to demo how very evil pan/scam is.
Transformers The Movie since a widescreen version apparently could never be released.
Oh, and The Man With Two Brains, which is open-matte, so I use zoom to get OAR.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think there is a big difference between advocating P&S and admitting that you might buy it for a handful for certain films you love and it is the only way you can see it without buying a 35mm projector and print.
Also, I think for the hardcore film buff, there is a large difference between pan-and-scan and true open-matte (where it does exist), as you can restore OAR to the latter with your own matting.
I have one..."Crumb". 4:3 IS it's OAR. As for anything else..NEVER!
If there is only one academy ratio film that you love, I think you are in the extreme minority. :)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Is it generally the rule that a 1.85:1 film that is "fullscreen" is always open matte? I know that a 2.35:1 film will always be Pan & Scammed (unless shot in Super 35), but I was wondering if 1.85:1 films are always spared that treatment?

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Well, good news, sort of. Upon further viewing, "White Fang" is in 4:3 open matte. Using the the letterbox zoom feature of my Panasonic RP91, the image is perfectly framed on my widescreen set. As good as a non-anamorphic letterboxed transfer? Yes. As good as it could have been? No.

Marc.

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
I bought "From Beyond" because I know it will never be redone in widescreen. It just wasn't that popular a movie and my video tape was worn out. No regrets BUT I promise not to do it again.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I own one DVD in 4:3 that should have been given a theatrical widescreen aspect ratio...Transformers: The Movie.
Only because it is close to my heart as a childhood favorite and the fact that its appearence on DVD itself is a miracle.
Some folks here mentioned that you can matte a full frame transfer by simply matting it yourself...well, I disagree with that to a certain extent.
Yes, by definition (theoretically), you could just matte off the full frame transfer to a 1.85:1 approx. ratio...but keep in mind that most times on a 4:3 "full frame" transfer certain shots and/or sequences in movies are zoomed-in or changed to maintain the original intent to a certain degree. By artificially matting a full frame movie yourself, these sequences will be that much more altered/cropped.
I much prefer a properly matted transfer as opposed to a "full frame" one.
With the exception of Transformers, I can say with confidence, I will not buy any non-OAR DVDs and have not since.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
No IMAX?
Yes, I have some IMAX. You mean those aren't vintage? :) But I quickly bought the anamorphic version of Super Speedway and gave the 4:3 version away. All of the others were purchased before I went big screen and came to my senses about the importance of anamorphic.
Deane

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yup, this thread is a great idea. Let's all show the studio lurkers that we'd buy anyway--P&S or not. :rolleyes
I wouldn't care if it was 2001 or Vertigo. If it was P&S only, I would do without. No exceptions.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I have more than 800 discs and not a single one is p&s.

I consider open-matte a lesser evil, but I still won't buy it (the rare special case like Kubrick aside).

Just to add: Jerry is right - often the true OAR can not be recovered in an open-matte transfer because of repo-ed shots.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
But you're not owning the film you like; you are owning a facsimili of it.

So, for me? Absolutely not!

Be advised: This pro-OAR site is not a democracy. But if you feel the need to discuss having done a bad thing, go ahead--if it makes you feel better.

Well sure, but every DVD, LD, VHS, etc. could be considered a facsimili. Perhaps you mean an altered facsimili? If so, I agree.

No, this site is not a democracy, though I don't see the point of that statement. I was responding to the original poster's question. Yes, I will buy P&S if I have no other choice. I do not consider what I'm doing "bad thing." The bad thing is being done by studios. They should give consumers the choice, include both in the same package, or go back to the laserdisc days and license out their movies to Image and Pioneer. Or maybe just license out widescreen releases. Maybe then Dolby 5.1 on DVD will be up to par with laserdisc.

Anyway, point is that all of us WANT OAR. It's just a question of who is going to continue to buy P&S or not. I will if I have to, but I'll certainly get an old widescreen laserdisc first. Therefore, the studio will still lose sales. And certainly the majority here won't buy regardless, so the appropriate message is still being sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks