Would you buy last years recvr or this years at same price point?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by WaltV, Jan 2, 2005.

1. WaltV

WaltV Extra

Specifically, the Pioneer VSX-D912K, came out in early 2003, (ok, so its not LAST year anymore), or the Onkyo TX-SR502, circa 2004.

Both can be had for $300 in my neck of the woods, the Onkyo can even be found for $260 online at Circuit City.

Pioneer: 2003, 110wpc, .2 THD, automatic speaker set up, cost about $500 when it first came out.

Onkyo: 2004, 75wpc, .08 THD, newer technology, (maybe).

Both are 6.1, both do dts es and dolby ex.

So at the same price, which would you get?

Thanks for the input.

Walt

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I would purchase the onkyo myself. But I wouldn't base my desicion on the year of production. Make sure the one you choose has the features and connections you want. Which offers more to you? Thats the one you want!

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Just to clarify, the onkyo doesn't do automatic speaker setup. It's a good receiver, but, then I haven't used the pioneer.

What "newer technology" were you thinking of? The onkyo supports dolby digital ex/prologic IIx and dts-es/neo:6/96-24. By dint of coincidence, so does the older vsx-d912k.

The pioneer does have a "7.1" input, while the onkyo only has a "5.1" input. So much for toys-- the bulk of your decision must rely on audio quality, which can't be conveyed by idly reading spec sheets.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Given that choice I would go with the Onkyo but that has less to do with stats and more to do with my experience with the brand. I'm 100% satisfied with my aging DD/DTS Onkyo receiver to the point that I don't feel the need to upgrade for the sake of newer technology.

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Walt,

For Onkyo receivers, look at JandR.com and ecost.com they usually have the best prices on them.

Ecost has the 502 for $200 reconditioned, and the 601 for $313 reconditioned. The 601 is a significantly better receiver esp. for just $13 more than what you were looking at. JandR also has refurb Onkyos too, call them and find out. They recently had the NEW Onkyo 602 for $300 shipped, check and see if that special is still on.

Can't tell you about the Pioneer, I've never heard it but if you're mainly doing HT then the Onkyos are fine, and are very user-friendly, intuitive interface easy to learn, lots of sound-tweaking features. Pioneer is known to be one of the less user-friendly makes, though good performer.

I wouldn't worry too much about auto-setup features, that's usually just a sales gimmick, you're much better off using an SPL meter from RadioShack.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Pioneer 'd912k and the Onkyo 602 also have pre-outs, and a digital out. The 502 does not.