What's new

Would you buy floor Models? (1 Viewer)

I am looking to take advantage of further discounts offered by buying floor model speakers. I am concerned that since they have been on the showroom floor two years they may have been beat up by playing too loud or have too much use already to make it worth the extra savings.

Even though the full mfg warrenty is offered I am still cautious.

The speakers I am looking at is definitive technology, BP30s or BP2002tls.

What are your thoughts/experiences on buying floor models?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
George

If they look good, sound fine, carry a full manfactures warranty, the price is very right, and they are absolutly what you want, then a big YES!

Yes, if only all the above are true!

Geoff

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
2 years? They are not floor models they are USED speakers and should be treated as such. Not saying you should never buy used but 2 years in the store or 2 years in the store if you are willing to buy them you should expect them to sell for equivilant to used speakers.

I have bought 2 sets of speakers that were not brand spanking news out of the box. Both from same shop. The last ones I just picked up Monitor 7s that had been on the floor less than 1 week. I really didn't get much of a discount as they offered to let me take them home and swap them fro brand new ones when the next order came in but it was too much of hassell so I just kept them.

The other thing I would think about is the store that is offering the discount. If they are a "high end" shop where a good salesperson is always there to supervise in a listening room that's one thing. If it was a place where any 14 year old kid could come in and Crank emiem as loud as he could that is another.

It all depends on the $ vs use value. Think about how much you would pay for well cared for ?? 2 year old speakers. If they are offering them for that price might be worth it. If they are offering a 10% floor modle discount forget it.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty picky about demo stuff. I have purchased demo stuff, but only from hi-end stores where I know the equipment wasn't abused. That is, demos were done for customers by salespeople, not the customers themselves. When merchandise is just sitting on the display floor in easy reach of anyone, that's when abuse occurs.

I have done the floor model thing at Circuit City, but it was a desktop mini-stereo system for my bedroom; not a big-ticket purchase.

Good Luck

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
I think the single biggest issue hear is what kind of shop they are in. Like others have said, if it's was a Circuit City or a Best Buy or something where kids come in and abuse the stuff, I probably wouldn't. It it was a higher end shop, I would be mush less wary. I bought my surrounds as floor models ($250 discount off a normal $650 price tag) and have had no problems at all with them.

As for the "floor model" verse "used" debate, I think 2 years is stretching it a bit. On the upside, 2 years really isn't that much out of a good speakers life cycle. A good speaker should last well over a decade. But out of principle, a 2 year old speaker like that should carry a very very deep discount more than a "regular" floor model. Depending on brand, it's likely that the model is or on its way out of production too if it's been on demo that long already. If this is the case, you should get an even deeper discount.

All in all, if the price is right and relative abuse is low, it shouldn't be a bad purchase. But I would really try and manuver for a very deep discount on them.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd be looking for a very healthy discount, much closer to what used would be, and seeing if the cosmetic problems are ones i can live with.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a pair of IL60s from CC as floor models. At the time the cheapest I could find a pair that weren't refurbished was $1800. They wanted $1300 and talked them down to $1000 for the pair. The only cosmetic defect was a small nick in one of the foot plates otherwise they were in great shape as well as broken in. Actually, I bought an IL36C and IL25C as floor models as well. The only NIB speakers I have are the IL10s I have for surrounds. I've never regreted it and they all have 5 year warranties. My point is that there are great deals to be had with floor models and open boxes. You just need to be careful and I would make sure that the place you bought them from has a good return policy in case you find a problem after getting them home.

Ted_Wern

Agent
I agree...It really depends on what type of store they were sitting around. Otherwise I think floor models are safe. I mean I bought my Studio 100's as an open box and I saved a ton of money. You still get the warranty and if they sound ok you got nothing to lose.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I recenly bought a pair a Def Tech Pro Tower 400's that were floor models. I got them at 1/2 price from a high-end store and so far I have been very pleased.

OK thanks for the input. They are from a reputable sound store and are kept in the back back room. So even though they are 2 years old they are not used regularly. Sometimes not used for weeks and only run by the sales rep.

Does 1/3 off list sound good for 2 year old BP2000tl and CLR 2000

I'll also get BP2x and Marantz sr7300 at 10% discount.

H

Hank

I always didn't mind buying demo/used speakers as long as they were in mint-very good condition. Also because they are already broken in.:D

I bought some B&W 802's from a big box retailer about 10 years ago. They were floor models. I have no idea how they were treated while on demo duty.

Here I am 10 years latter - they still sound great!

My advice would be to listen to see if you can hear any problems before you buy.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks