Would you buy DVDs at a garage sale?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DouglasRobert, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

This past weekend I stopped at a garage sale and they had around 10 DVDs for $8.00 each or $60 for all of them. All of them were titles that can still be bought at the local B&M stores. The worst thing was that 90% of them were Full Screen versions, the only widescreen was Pirates of the Caribbean.

I quickly looked at them, but decided to not buy any of them. My decision was partly based on the fact that they had young children and some children handle things without any care. And that there would be no way to return them if something was wrong with them.

This was the most DVDs I came across at one garage sale, most of the time its one or two at most.

If they were around 2 or 4 dollars each then I might have bought a few, but $8.00 each was too much to take a chance on. I would rather pay more than to have $8.00 garbage.

2. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I'd buy if it was something I could not live without. maybe a rare oop disc or something. I dislike buying used dvds...so I dont. I prefer a new, sealed copy from a store or on-line shop. un-greased is the only way to fly![​IMG]

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I only buy CEDs at garage sales. [​IMG]

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

What's preventing you from checking for scratches?

P&S discs aren't worth the plastic & aluminum they're pressed on.

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I would probably if the price was right, but I have yet to come across someone selling DVDs at a sale... I do buy used a lot anyway.

Ryan

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I could never buy a used DVD from anywhere. Once it's been out of it's protective cellophane wrapping, it's tainted and unclean.

Of course I'm the same person who searches through the DVDs in the store for the one with the perfectly aligned cover and NEVER takes the one in front. Once I do pick out my perfect specimen, I proceed to touch all the remaining DVDs making all of them unclean. BWAHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG]

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    No, but I've sold a few of my own at garage sales. [​IMG]

8. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Would I buy used DVDs at a garage sale?

As long as I can check it passes my basic quality control.. It's all good, folks.

9. John Medeiros

I had a yard sale last weekend. I had Forever Young (FS), Godzilla (WS) and Planet of the Apes (WS-Mark Wahlberg)...each for $4...the only one that sold was the Full Screen Forever Young.

10. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    I got my collection started back in March 2000 by buying 35 dvds for $5 each at a yard sale. The couple selling their collection had taken extremely good care of them, so I had no problems. A few of the titles were FS, but I think that was because they were only released in the P&S format. Most were WS. All were in excellent condition for viewing, no scratches, fingerprints, smudges or blemishes. Anyway, after I had watched all of them, I sold them off on eBay and nearly doubled my money. No joke. I used that money to take a nice little 3 day trip down to Florida for some scuba diving. I doubt I could get such a return on my money today with the glut of used dvds on eBay. I guess it's just a matter of checking the dvds before agreeing to buy them.

11. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Bryan X, I feel your pain. When the LOTR limited sets come out I am the one going through 25 boxes lol......nope gollum has a broken ear......this box is scratched! lol.

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I will not buy this tobacconist - it is scratched.

13. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Would I buy used DVD's at a garage sale? Sure, if they happened to be Criterions priced ridiculously low. [​IMG]

Seriously, only if I could check it first for scratches and the like.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well...guess why I'm reviving this old thread? [​IMG]

I stopped by a garage sale this morning and sitting on a table with some old xbox games, a VHS VCR, and some kiddie VHS tapes was the original 1999 3-disc Criterion release of Brazil.

It was unmarked. Packaging was perfect. Discs were all accounted for and pristine.

I asked how much they wanted. The lady asked her husband who yelled from the garage: "Three dollars!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a title I'd always coveted but never pulled the trigger on because of the price and that I've never seen it.

15. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I have no problem buying used DVDs from a garage sale, or previously viewed DVDs in general. With my limited budget, I can rarely afford to pay full price for a new DVD. The only time I would if it were something I REALLY wanted. Otherwise, I have no problem waiting a month or two for them to show up on previously viewed shelves. New........used...........doesn't matter. As long as they play fine, then I"m happy.

16. Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir Stunt Coordinator

LOL! I thought I was the only person who did this! I switch DVDs 3 times before I buy it. I cannot stand un-aligned covers and for some reason most of the FOX DVDs I buy the SECURITY STICKER doesn't want to come off and leaves residue!!

17. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

I confess. I bought a Planet of the Apes disc at a garage sale for the same price. I inspected it. It was pristine.

18. jmac33208

jmac33208 Auditioning

no way. Unless it was very rare.