Would you buy an HD LCD online?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob White, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

I can save $500-600, by buying a 40in Samsung LCD from a place like:
    -Abe's of Maine
    -Dr. Plasma
    -MP.com Superstore
    -Butterfly Photo

I've bought lots of stuff online before, but this is my first HD LCD and I don't want to make a mistake.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't buy from one of the above online stores?

I assume the warrenty is the same either way.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I would definitely consider it if you have personally checked out the units and know that is for sure the one you want. I got mine from Costco for their return policy because if it fails I can just return it, other wise I was considering online.

On the other hand, I prefer to purchase if from a local store because a TV is usually something I would not buy unless I can actually see it first. If everyone goes to the store, looks at them, and then purchases online, the stores will go out of business. Then where will we go to see them? I think there is a need to support the store where you can touch and see them too. The real question is how much are you willing to pay for that? I'll give them a couple hundred for it, but $500 is a bit much. Sometimes the stores will give you a discount if you ask, so I usually give them the chance to get my business and then go online if they will not at least get somewhere closer to the online price. The policies of the store also make a difference in how much more I will pay them.

Lastly, make sure they are authorized if the Mfg requires them to be in order to have full warranty coverage. So there is my 2 cents.

3. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Wesley,

I'm still very, very torn. I've read a few places that LCD prices aren't going to be coming down much more (that companies aren't making much money on them right now, etc.). So, I don't feel like I'll save a bunch by waiting. If I thought the price would come down from $2800 to $2000 in a few months, then I'd wait. But if they'll only come down a couple hundred bucks, then it's worth a couple hundred to have it NOW.

What to do? What to do?

Thanks,
    Rob