What's new

Would you buy a set for only one season? (1 Viewer)

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Generally when I buy the First Season of any show I feel obligated to buy the rest of the series. I already have/plan to continue all of the shows I have started which have had subsequent releases. The only shows that I have bought that seem to be in limbo of future releases are; Malcolm In The Middle & The Simple Life. There are also some shows that I will buy Season 1 of as soon as Season 2 is announced. Those are; Diff'Rent Strokes, Fraggle Rock, The Jetsons, Just Shoot Me, Ned & Stacey, and Son Of The Beach.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Like Roman-K, I also only bought the first season of Wonder Woman, but specifically because I preferred its period setting of WW2, when Diana Prince (WW's secret identity) was working for the War Department. I also prefer the original interpretation of the costume in that season.

CS

RyanAn

Screenwriter
It depends, if I like the show, then I would obviously want to get the entire series. On the other hand, a show that I have never seen like a Buffy, Angel, or Roswell, that I can get on sale quite cheaply, if I would not like them than I would not get the future seasons. Personaly, I would not have to be a "completist" if I did not like the show itself, only if it was worthy.

Ryan

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes, the series SURFACE. It says right on the box Complete season 1. And season 1 is the only season ever on tv.

Also if characters leave the series I'd stop after 1.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I bought Volume 4 of SPEED RACER, but only because it has that Die-Cast Miniture MACH V Car bundled with it. I will never open it up, because it may become a Collector's item one day. :)

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
yes, I don't plan on buying any more seasons of simon and simon when they
come out

Venice-H

Agent
Each season of each show is judged on its own merits. I only buy the seaons of the show that interest me.

That said, I'd say most of the series I have/want on DVD had very short runs, so the issue is moot for them.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For me, The Golden Girls was a one-season buy for me. The first season, when the show's creator was directly involved in the writing, was genuinely funny. From the second season onward, the characters quickly became stereotypes and the writing got weaker. The first season was enough for me.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - have both V1 & 2 of S1 but don't plan on getting more. I like S1 so far but after reading posts that are far more familiar with this series than me, I'll stop at S1.

MOONLIGHTING SEASON 1 & 2: Was released in a dual-season set but I count it as one "Season" release. Viewing in progress but didn't hold up as well for me as remembered. I got this one from Santa last year.

MURDER SHE WROTE SEASON 1: This one's a "fence-rider" for me. I may get additional seasons but will need to view more of S1 before deciding. I realize that it's a "class" show but it's a priority issue with me. Too many others to view in my library for now. Another Santa gift last year.

MURDER ONE SEASON 1: I loved S1 but when the format changed in S2 I wasn't as excited about it.

PRETENDER SEASON 1: Another fence-riding decision. I love S1 so far but not sure about continuing with this one.

RAT PATROL SEASON 1: S1's ok but didn't seem to hold up quite as well as remembered.

TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT SEASON 1: S1 only released so far but won't continue with it if further releases. S1 ok but not enough for additional buys.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
There's one show I remember from childhood for which I'd love to purchase a single season [1961/S4], if it were available. Actually, it's a single episode from that series that I somehow became obsessed with because of its atmosphere and solo performance by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. The show is 77 Sunset Strip, and the episode is Reserved for Mr. Bailey. The story concerns head PI Stu Bailey's abduction and escape from a "fun house" equipped with various homicidal traps. It was kind of a forerunner to The Cube horror/scifi movie.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I won't buy anything for just one season. If I buy the first season of a series, I fully intend on seeing it through to completion. Luckily, almost every show I collect continues to come out with subsequent releases, or has already been completed. The only exception is "The Osbournes". I have season 1, 2, and 2 1/2. I wish someday the remaining 2 seasons would get released.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have.

The first season of Superman because I enjoy the more grittier stores. Plus I think Phyllis Coates makes a far superior Lois to the more goofier Noelle Neil.

First Season of Greatest American Hero. The subsequent seasons lost focus of the original premise.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I pretty much will continue buying a show, unless it's just absolutely dreadful near the end of the series' run. One example was Buffy, from what everyone says the show really went downhill after the fifth season.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I only bought season 1 of the Monkees, SCTV, and Rocky and Bullwinkle because I only liked those shows enough to get one seasons worth. That's enough for me.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
This is a tough question to answer because if I shell out my hard-earned cash to buy a tv show that I have already seen, I must like that show quite a lot. Some shows do have a, to use an internet cliche, "jump the shark" moment. Characters leaving , or being introduced for that matter, a change in venue or premise, abandonment by the show's creators would all influence me. An example for me is "Boomtown", I bought S1 (for 8 bucks) but I thought s2 saw a dramatic drop-off in story quality. To be fair, I probably would not have bought the first season at a higher price point.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Same here, which is why I'm pretty selective about which shows are added to my collection.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was all excited when they first announced The Simpsons was coming on DVD, and I got season one when it came out. However, I don't think I've even watched the full set. What I realized was that the Simpsons was (and still is) on TV so much that I've seen the episodes enough. I'll watch it if it's on, but I've seen it so many times that I don't feel the need to own it. That's actually the reason I haven't gotten any of the Seinfeld sets...I've seen them all enough that I don't think there would be enough times I'd feel like watching all of the episodes to justify paying for the sets.

t_smitts

Grip
Real Name
Todd Smitts
I was happy to purchase the first season of "Murder One" and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Having seen a few of the second season, however, I can safely say I have little to no interest in shelling out fifty (Canadian) bucks to see the whole thing. With the departure of the brilliant and powerful leading man Daniel Benzali and the dillusion of the show's premise by focusing on a number of trials in a season rather than just one, it lost two of its greatest strengths.

Since the show didn't go past the second season anyway, I don't feel too bad about that.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

while I do agree that GG lost it's luster fast, I disagree with you here. Season two was very much equal to the first season, if not even funnier. Three and Four were okay but not up to par compared to 1/2 and 5-7 was a downward spiral but I would argue and stand by that season 2 was just as classic and essential as season 1

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't bought any shows for only one season (except those like Murphy Brown where only one season has been released), but there are several that I've bought only a few seasons. This is usually because something changed in the series at some point to cause me to have no interest in owning subsequent series. One example that comes to mind is the Andy Griffith Show, I stopped collecting at Season 5 because I don't care for the post-Barney Fife color episodes. Good Times I stopped after Season 3 because I don't care for the post-James episodes. With Moonlighting, there was in my opinion a significant decline in quality after Season 3, I find Season 4 to be weak, and find Season 5 to be totally "unwatchable". I will probably also stop collecting Bewitched after the Dick York run ends at Season 5.

I don't fully understand the notion of buying the full run of a series for "completions sake" IF I know in advance I won't watch the episodes. I have too little shelf space, and too many other things on which to spend my entertainment $$$ to do that.

I DO, however, understand it for those who enjoy the full run of a series even if the quality of certain seasons is not on par with the best of that series.That is the case for me with full series I've collected such as Femme Nikita, Alias, I Love Lucy, & The Dick Van Dyke Show and will also be the case with Cosby Show (whenever those sets start to be produced again). I don't LOVE all the seasons, but I love the series enough that I regularly watch episodes even from my less favored seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks