Would you buy a new Onkyo 797 today?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nash, May 30, 2002.

1. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    Knowing the problems people have had with this unit would anyone still consider this a wise purchase. Is the sound quaility worth the risk of potential problems? I know Onkyo is no longer manufacturing this unit (or so I'm told), however I'm hoping the ones still out there in stores "should be" defect free. I really like this unit but I'm still wary of the potential problems. My second choice is the HK 520.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions!
    Thanks,

David

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Hell yeah! If I had the $$$$, I would grab the Onkyo in a heartbeat. Built like a tank with that wonderful Onkyo sound and a killer remote to boot. Plus all the formats you need. No contest between this and the H/K IMO.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I own the 797 and had to bring it in for the "clicking" repair. Yes, i would still buy it. It functions great as a pre-amp for me for the time being(eventually getting a pre/pro). It is a fine sounding unit.

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

The 797 has a clicking problem in MANY of the units. It affects the rear channels.

5. Barry Lieberman

According to Onkyo, the 'clicking' problem has been repaired on all new units that now ship.
    B

6. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Auditioning

I love mine- haven't noticed any clicking problems. Just wish I could figure out how to shut off the rear power outlets using the remote.

7. Chris Stiefel

I have an earlier Onkyo 676 (5.1) and an even older stereo model as well.

The stereo unit has run flawless for over 8 years and the 676 is superb! If I was looking for a new unit, Onkyo or Denon would be the first ones I would even consider. And I always seem to lean to the Onkyo. The 676 and 777 was known to have a center channel "buzz" and Onkyo never blinked at getting them fixed. (though I was one of the lucky ones without any issues)

8. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I've had my 797 since January this year. So far I haven't ran into the clicking problem even though it was manufacturered in Nov/Dec 2001. Am I one of the lucky few or is it a matter of time? Not knowing is frustrating as hell to say the least.

I waited a month after the 797's initial release until the Dolby Digital audio dropout issue was fully explained by both Onyko AND Dolby Labs.

I had a 787 before that performed flawlessly and ironically has none of the problems of the 797. I sold it to a friend to help pay for the 797 but wish I had held on to it now.

If money wasn't a factor, I would get a Denon AVR-5803 in a heartbeat. I go for a certain price/features ratio and NOT namebrands. Unfortunately, money IS a factor for me. Denon has come very close to getting my money: it was the 3801 when I got the 787 and the 3802 when I got the 797. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get a Denon if the price/features ratio is right.

Would I have still got the 797 if I had it to do all over again? I guess I would, I'm really not sure anymore. Like I said above, SO FAR I haven't ran into the clicking problem but now that I know about it, I worry about when it might creep up and about sending the receiver off for repair, time without, etc.

Hopefully, Onkyo will get their act together with their next round of receivers - they sure need to. I sure will not be running out to pick one up as soon as it hits the market anymore. Instead, I'll wait and check forums like this for a month or two. I'll surely be looking a Denon and others to see what the offer too.

9. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I am also a 797 and owner, and I bought mine in Dec last year and I would not hesitate to buy the 797 now. IMO there is only one possible competitor and that is the 3802, if you can get the 3802 for the same price, then it gets hard, but I think the 797 still prevails. The 797 has good DAC's, good DSP processors and loads more inputs than the 3802. So yes, the 797 it would be!

10. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    Well, I made the decision and purchased the Onkyo 797 today instead of the HK 520. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I got a ticking free one. I think this was the best choice for me since it mostly will be used for HT. Plus it had certain features I wanted that the HK didn't. I'll be picking up my Definitive Tech. BP2004TL, CLR2002 and BP2X speakers next week. I can't wait to get it all hooked up and listen to the first movie. Notice I said listen and not watch. Thanks for everyone's input on the Onkyo.

David

11. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Without question I would.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

You can't go wrong with the Onkyo 797.... nice piece. I've got a Denon 5803 now though and ain't look'n back! [​IMG]