What's new

Would you buy a DLP RP mailorder? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm thinking about getting a new television for my HT-challenged older sister. Right now she's living with a 12 year old 27" NTSC set that's a hand-me-down from me. But she has expressed an interest in something newer.

With her lack of concern for the finer aspects of HT, I am thinking what she wants is a 46" - 50" DLP RPTV. This will satisfy her biggest requirements, which are that the set be thin and light but not as expensive as a plasma set. I've tried to talk her into FP but it's no dice.:rolleyes:But at least she won't complain about rainbows...

The target DLP sets appear to cost about $400-$500 more at stores than mailorder. That's interesting.

But a large percentage of the threads here and over at AVS say that they bought a XXX DLP and it blew up the first week they had it. :thumbsdown: My ballpark statistics are about 10% of the DLP sets are dead out of the box or a week thereafter...... :angry:

So should I buy it local with a good return policy? Or should I be cheap and buy it mailorder? I was thinking at any rate of having it shipped to my house and running it for a month before delivering it to her (she lives 120 miles away).

terence

Supporting Actor
There are great e-tailers if that is what you are refering to as mailorder, that have outstanding customer service, just do your homework! Make sure to contact them by phone or e-mail to get a better understanding of their return policy, and warrenty practices. Good luck!

KirkP

Agent
Dennis,

Our company selects many of these DLP TV's for our 5 Star Program which does provide a 30 day return period. Most legitimate mail order/etailers will swap out defective product so its really not that different that if you purchased from your local store. What is different is that truly specialize in digital microdisplay products and take the time to train our sales staff. We are a forum sponsor and are committed to taking great care of our customers. Feel free to contact me and i'd be happy to give you a complete overview our policies plus the current line up of DLP TV's.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I always try to buy locally when I can. Keeps jobs close to home. Keeps stores in business where you can go look at product. Gives you the opportunity to get in someone's actual face if there are problems.

If you develop your negotiating skills, you can get that price difference down considerably at a local store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks