Would you buy a CRT based HD Projection Television over Micro LCD?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Derek B, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Derek B

Derek B Stunt Coordinator

Is there any reason why I should not buy a CRT based HD projection television? They seem to be much cheaper than the Micro LCD based Projection Televisions.

What are the pro's/con's?

Thanks,

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If your talking about rear projection sets:

CRT pros--better rendition of dark scenes, truer blacks, no dead pixels, much lower price, capable of better pq.
    Most sets 50" and over don't require stands.

CRT cons--may be subject to burn in if left in "torch mode" (contrast maxed out) and stationary images left on screen for too long. May need manual convergence occasionally, most sets have auto convergence as well as manual, manual can be more accurate. Cabinets usually deeper. Heavier.

LCD pros--not subject to burn in, don't require convergence, usually have slimmer cabinets, lighter.

LCD cons--won't display blacks or shadow detail as well as crt, may have "stuck pixels". Require projection bulb replacement every few thousand hours. Most all LCD sets require stands.

CRT sets are the bargain of the HD market right now and still have better pq, but LCDs are less fussy as far as convergence and burn in issues.

3. Derek B

Thanks! Im looking to spend around $2000-2500 at a local retailer, Best Buy, Fry's, Good Guys, Costco, etc...

Are there a few HD CRT based rear projection sets you can recommend, at least 55" or greater? Preferrably greater.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Costco had a 65" Pioneer on sale a while back for around $2100, great buy if they still have any as Pioneer had among the best line doublers and stretch modes for 4/3 material on the market. Pioneer has since gotten out of the rptv business, however, and these sets lacked DVI inputs, which would be a nice thing to have for future compatibility.

5. Derek B

Steve,

Costco has the Pioneer 64" SD-643HD5 for $1999.99. What do you think of this TV?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailComponent#

Also, This TV has an RGB type connection for High Definition Sources while my Cable Box Motorola DCT-5100 has a DVI-D type digital connection. Are these two compatable with eachother? See -->

http://users.rcn.com/dbalavac/VIDEOCONNECTIONS.doc

Thanks for the help. I would like to buy this TV becuase it is Pioneer, and it has a good picture, but I want it to be compatable.

-Derek

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Derek,
    That's an excellent tv. I couldn't get the link about the connections to work, so don't know if there's such a thing as DVI to rgb conversion.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the 2 component video inputs on that set will accept 1080i from your cable box.

Pioneer used to make an HD-stb with RGB outs, and the old RCA DTC-100 HD box also used RGB, hence the presence of that input on the tv.

7. Derek B

Thanks Steve. I fixed the link regarding the connections. Someone answered my question in another post. They are not compatible.

I am going to buy the Pioneer TV. Now I just have to find the best DVD player for it for $300. I need one that does not have any of the known issues for Chroma and other problems. Any suggestions. I have not read anything good about the Pioneer models. My entire sytem is Pioneer and I hate to break up the party.
    Thanks,

8. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Your saying that CRT Projection TV's have better PQ than a LCD?

Or CRT Tubes?

I've never seen a CRT unit that looks as good as a properly setup LCD in HD.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

LCD doesn't have shadow detail capability approaching a good crt based rptv. That's not to say they can't produce a sharp picture--they most definitely can.

Derek,
    Look for a Denon or Panasonic player with the Faroudja de-interlacer. Panny used these a lot on their players a year or so ago but have since gone to an inferior setup on most of their players. The XP-30 sold by Sharper Image still has the Faroudja chip. Denon has at least one model with Faroudja chip for about $299.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No contest. IMO, LCDs are the worst.

11. Derek B

I need to understand more about my Pioneer SD-643HD5 RPTV that I will be purchasing. It has 1080i or 480p. Does this mean that the TV can accept 1080i or 480p? Or does the TV create the 1080i or 480p from any input? I purchased the Panasonic XP-30 DVD player and want to know how my TV will handle the Progressive 480p input from the DVD player.

I will also be using a Mortorla DCT 5100 HD cable box that can output 1080i or 480p. What should I set its output to be?

I just need to better understand how the TV works with the player/cable box.
    Thanks,

12. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

You should set the output to 1080i, which is what will be passed when the box detects a 1080i signal. You will also need to set the 480i override option on the cable box. Most folks don't want the box to upconvert any non-HD signals (480i standard signal) to 1080i, so they set this to 480p from the box. Don't know the particulars of your set, but many lock into FULL mode when receiving 1080i, hence the need for the 480p override.

If I remember correctly all of this is covered fairly well in the 5100 user manual. There are a number of topics on this forum as well as avsforum that have more detailed info.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Derek,

Ted is right about the Motorola 5100.

As for the XP30, you will first need to go into the setup menu (press the "setup" button on the remote) for the player to enable progressive scan output--it's disabled as it comes from the factory. Also change TV type to 16/9. Once you enable progressive scan in the setup menu you need to then press the "Display" button on the remote 3 times, then press the "down" button until "picture menu" appears. Scroll over 2 spaces to change "video output mode" to 480p, then over one more to "transfer mode" and select "auto 1."

Your set will display 480p natively from the player.