What's new

Would you boycott DVD if studios went P&S only? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would watch widescreen VHS before Pan and Scanned DVD.

Yes, I would boycott.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I'd stop buying if all that was available was p&s, yes. I can't even watch p&s:ed movies on TV anymore... just sit there pissed noticing how they've brutalized the presentation. I certainly wouldn't pay good money for discs treated that way.
Fortunately it's highly hypothetical. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I wouldn't buy movies that were pan & scan, that's for sure.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If a movie is not in it's proper aspect ratio, or at least close to it's correct ratio. I will not buy, plain and simple.
There is only one widescreen movie I have seen in all of my years that I actually prefer in full-frame and that is The Abyss which to me appears to have better framing than the 2.35 version, That said I still feel that the Widescreen version must come first and foremost as that is the proper presentation regardless of my preferance.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Without a doubt I'd stop. No crappy P&S for me. I like seeing it the way it was intended.

Patrick

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I have a hard enough time purchasing non-anamorphic titles. There is no chance of me getting a P&S release only.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Before DVD I bought widescreen VHS whenever possible but if I couldn't get it widescreen then I would buy P&S. If the studios adopted the policy now of only releasing P&S, I would probably wait for awhile hoping for an SE. But if that's all there ever would be then I would probably buy them. I still watch P&S movies on the movie channels so I guess I'm not as die-hard as some here.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I'm with most folks here. I wouldn't boycott any studio, per se, but I would still not buy anything that is in pan & scan. If they threw us a bone every now and then with an OAR version, then I would pick it up without hesitation.

Still, there are plenty of older films that are in 1.33 and 1.37 originally, so I would just go classics shopping from then on. If they cropped them to 16X9, then Id avoid those too.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I've bought over 1100 and still have 950+.

However, if they go P&S only they don't get one more sale.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd quit buying them domestically, but for really important new releases I'd look to Canada or other Regions and if they had the Widescreen, that's who would get my money.

If all proper Regions went p&s, I'd buy bootlegs off eBay.

I will never buy a movie on DVD that's not OAR again.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I don't buy P&S DVDs now, and if that was all that was available, I still wouldn't buy them.
My collection would become very narrowly focused on old movies that didn't suffer from pan-and-scanning.
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks