What's new

Would you boycott DVD if studios went P&S only? (1 Viewer)

AdamW

Agent
Well, we have petitions to make sure that Widescreen stays around, but what would you do if studios stopped releasing widescreen movies on DVD all together? I strongly doubt that this would happen, but I just want to hear what some intelligent people would do.

DanR

Supporting Actor
It's very simple. No Widescreen; No Sale. It's not really a conscious boycott either. If it's not in the OAR, my interest in watching the movie immediately becomes zero, so I won't buy it. It's really that simple. There's plenty of other things out there we can spend our money on.

That said, I'm not worried in the least that widescreen DVD releases will ever go away.

Regards,

Dan

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
No more DVD's...I guess I'd finally watch the ones I've bought and not gotten around to watching.:)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There are more than enough OAR DVDs of films I want that have already been released to keep me buying for a while if it happened.

I wouldn't buy any of the P&S releases though, just as I don't now.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This sounds like a poll, but yes, I would stop buying DVD's if they were only pan-and-scan.

Neil

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely. I have no interest anymore in non-OAR presentations. That goes for cropping CHEERS to 16:9 as well.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I'm in the same bet as Rain, I would probably revert to buying older films that I had passed up on previously. I will never buy a P&S title.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I guess buying movies on DVD would be a moot point in that case, since the movies wouldn't be on the DVD now would they?

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely! The main reason I buy DVD is for the accurate and quality presentation of the movie.
No OAR, No sale!
Jim

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call it a boycott, since it wouldn't be organized. It's just not likely I would buy very many in that instance. Which is, of course, a pretty thoroughly hypothetical situation.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Simple question, simple answer:

No freakin' way would I buy non-OAR DVDs.

If I want my movies butchered, I could always use my dusty old VHS!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
If all that was available was P & S, reluctantly, I would buy P & S.

I really hope it never comes to that.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As many have said here, I wouldn't necessarily boycott dvds, but I would only buy OAR ones, which, if there was no widescreen, would mean only 1.33:1 OAR. There's still a lot of that unreleased, so yes, I'd still buy The Thin Man and Top Hat if they released them, but certainly nothing with an OAR of 1.66 or higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks