Would this work?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KennyD, Jan 26, 2005.

1. KennyD

KennyD Extra

I want to implement some stuff I have into the creation of a "powered sub" as a temporary sub for my Pioneer 1014. I have an Image Dynamics ID MAX 12 V.3 D4 Sub. It is a Dual 4 ohm Voice coil sub, with 1000 watts RMS power handling. I have an older Pioneer stereo receiver that puts out at most 100 watts x 2 channels. I have good box woodworking/box building skills, and WinISD on my computer.

Question: How would I send the signal from my 1014 to the stereo receiver? Is it possible to use an RCA "Y" cable to hook up to the LFE channel on my 1014, and then run regular RCA audio cables from there to the stereo receiver? In that way It seems that I would be able to make my 1014 think that it was a regular sub, and I could control the level and everything with the 1014.

If I was only able to use a stereo output from my 1014 to the stereo receiver, I believe I would need to build a low pass crossover. I would like it to be at least a 12 dB/octave low pass. I have been looking into that, but I'm still not sure what all is needed. Could someone tell me what I need and how I would hook it up to get around a 100hz lowpass crossover?

Thanks,
    Kennyd

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

The subwoofer out should work, and since the IDMAX is dvc, you can send 100 watts to each coil. You would be surprised how loud 200 watts will get you. I would go for a BIG ported EBS box. Lots of port area, we want as much as possable from your 200 watts.

3. Peter Fallon

Peter Fallon Extra

Just hook the subwoofer pre out on the 1014 to any normal stereo input on the old receiver with a Y cable as you already mentioned. Just don't use the phono input on the old receiver.

The 1014 should provide the required lowpass filter. If the 1014 provides a subwoofer delay setting, you can use it to tweak phase response for a better match with your mains. You could even reverse the polarity on the speaker cables for a rudimentary phase adjustment.

4. KennyD

KennyD Extra

Thanks for the info. What is EBS? Also, if I were to go ported, don't I have to have a subsonic filter set at the tuning frequency? If that's the case, I don't have a way of putting a subsonic filter on it. Anyway, I planned on making a sealed box, for simplicity and to save space. By the way, it's going into the world's loudest dorm room, which is about 12'x14', so I don't need a ton of output. Expecially since I already have six large floor speakers as part of my 7.1 setup. So loudness isn't really a factor here. It's already been taken care of.

On a side note, the Pioneer VSX 1014TX is an awesome receiver. It automatically set up all of my old, huge floor speakers and eq'ed them all to match each other quite well. I was impressed. And I got if for $399.99 at jr.com (free ship/no tax).

5. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

EBS stands for extended bass shelf.

It is an alignment that combines a LARGE box and a LOW tune to get a kind of shelf that extends to the tuning point(slopes gently) and then a steep rolloff after the tuniong point. An example is an adire tempest in a 340 liter enclosure tuned to 15hz.

6. KennyD

KennyD Extra

Thanks again for the info guys. I did end up building a sealed box, at about 1.888 cubes gross, which is almost exactly what WinISD said. It really sounds awesome, and it perfectly adds that low end that I've been missing out on when I have my music at low-medium levels. At loud levels it's astonishing, compared to the bass output before. I haven't watched a movie with it yet, but I am trying to figure out a good one that would really bring out the sub. Any suggestions on a movie?

At first I was worried that my old pioneer vsx-3300 would get fried by running it at 4 ohms, but it seems to handle it fine. Although it's display does dim quite a bit during heavy hits.

I ended up wiring as I originally thought, and it is fine. From pioneer vsx 1014tx's sub out split via RCA y splitter, and run stereo into pioneer vsx 3300's cd input. From one speaker output to one voice coil, and from the other speaker output to the other voice coil.

Now I just wish I had a real amplifer, since this ~$500 car sub could handle anything I throw at it. But it's good enough for now.