Would this work? (6.1 set-up)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff SN, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Jeff SN

Jeff SN Auditioning

Would this work?
    Later this month I'm planning on replacing my Onkyo TXDS 595 with either the TXSR 700 or 800. Both of these receivers are 6.1 so I'm trying to figure out how to add the rear center. I bought a new couch, and based on room design it will need to sit about 8 inches from the rear wall (room is 10' 7" x 10' 7"). My rears sit 2.5' above my head on that wall. I'm considering making a table to fit between the couch and the wall, cutting a hole in the middle of the table a placing a CSi30 in the hole firing up towards the ceiling. The grill of the speaker would be flush with the top of the table. What I wonder is if this placement would work or would the rear sound stage not work properly unless all the speakers where at the same level? Where are you 6.1 people placing your rear center if you have a small room? Is 6.1 even worth messing with based on my room size?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Adam_D

Adam_D Stunt Coordinator

i'm having kinda the same problem. i have about an 11'x11' room and am getting the sony da4es tomm but with all the stuff i have in here i don't really have the space just yet to take advantage of the 7.1. but i will have it when i'm ready to get the new place. i would think from the speaker firing upwards it may not sound right, but i'm still learning here. just keep the drinks from spillin on the table and in the speaker[​IMG]

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have 6.1 in a 10ft x 10ft room. The center speaker is a tiny bit above ear level on the TV. Both front mains are a few feet above the center, close to the ceiling. The surrounds are on the middle of the side walls, a couple of inches from the ceiling and pretty much the same height as the front mains. The rear surround is on the top of a bookshelf at the back of the room. I find this works very well for music, movie and video games (XBOX games in 5.1 w/EX processing).

4. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I've got a very similar setup.

I'm running the Onkyo 600 AV Reciever.

My room is fairly large I guess (don't know much about room sizes yet) Front to back is around 20', and the couch is about 3' form the back wall. Left and right surrounds are on the back wall about 2' from the cieling (10' cielings). And I haven't put in the rear center channel yet.

I'm going to mount in on or in the wall but I think I'll keep mine at the same level I have the surrounds.

If I put it " head hieght" right behind the couch I'm afraid it might be over bearing.