1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

would this upgrade be worth it?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Anthony*B, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

a while back I purchased the Fluance SX-HTB 5.1 setup...I love them for the money, but have always been a tiny bit dissatisfied with the center channel...The front mains have (I believe) 5" mids, while the center appears to have 3-3.5" drivers...on their website, they offer a center w/ (apparently) the same size drivers as the mains I have...
    Is this a worthy upgrade? (the center they are offering is around 70$, not expensive at all (but 70$ is not just throwaway for me), but not the same color as my mains)? my chief gripe w/ my present center is that it sounds a bit "thin" compared to the mains, which are VERY "bassy"...will my setup "match" more w/ (seemingly) identical sized drivers?

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I had the same issue with my Onkyo SKS-500. Mains have two 5" mid-bass's and the center has two 4"'s. I also thought the center was a little weak, (most people think the sub is the weak point of the Onkyo systems but I'm happy with it) so anyway, I went to Fry's and bought a Cerwin Vege CV 5 which has two 5"'s and swapped the tweeters so they would match the others in the SKS-500 and the difference was noticable. I'm using the 4" mid-bass's from the Onkyo and the tweeter of the CV 5 as the center channel in a custom built ET center in another room. It was a good decision for me anyway. Gene