would this upgrade be worth it?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Anthony*B, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

Aug 6, 2003
    a while back I purchased the Fluance SX-HTB 5.1 setup...I love them for the money, but have always been a tiny bit dissatisfied with the center channel...The front mains have (I believe) 5" mids, while the center appears to have 3-3.5" drivers...on their website, they offer a center w/ (apparently) the same size drivers as the mains I have...
    Is this a worthy upgrade? (the center they are offering is around 70$, not expensive at all (but 70$ is not just throwaway for me), but not the same color as my mains)? my chief gripe w/ my present center is that it sounds a bit "thin" compared to the mains, which are VERY "bassy"...will my setup "match" more w/ (seemingly) identical sized drivers?
  2. gene c

gene c Producer

Aug 5, 2003
    I had the same issue with my Onkyo SKS-500. Mains have two 5" mid-bass's and the center has two 4"'s. I also thought the center was a little weak, (most people think the sub is the weak point of the Onkyo systems but I'm happy with it) so anyway, I went to Fry's and bought a Cerwin Vege CV 5 which has two 5"'s and swapped the tweeters so they would match the others in the SKS-500 and the difference was noticable. I'm using the 4" mid-bass's from the Onkyo and the tweeter of the CV 5 as the center channel in a custom built ET center in another room. It was a good decision for me anyway. Gene