What's new

Would this screen be too large for the distance? (1 Viewer)

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
I'm at the design stage of converting our garage into a semi-dedicated home theater. I'll be posting pics and most likely be asking for advice throughout the project. Quick question for now...would a 12 ft wide screen (16:9) be too large from a 17 ft seating distance?

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
That's a bit big. A good rule to follow is that the screen should be 1/2 the distance in inches. 17' is 204 inches, so a 100 inch screen should be about right. If you mainly watching 1080p sources and a high end projector, the images should look great even at 12', but DVD may look pretty soft, even scaled up to 1080p

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
Is 100 inch diagonal or wide? I am using a Panasonic PT-AE2000U (same projector I'll be using in the garage) with a 92" diagonal screen sitting at about 12 ft. This setup is in our living room (which is why I was limited to a smaller screen size). I was looking at this thread (well-known, I'm sure) http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/32573-pimp-my-garage.html His seating position is 11.5ft with a 10 ft wide screen. My setup is going to similar to his (except I have to sit back further).

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
According to projector central's calculator pro, seating distance for 120" wide screen is 14' - 22' and with a 144" wide it is 17' to 26'. What about splitting the difference at 134" wide?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The rule of thumb with a HD projector is to multiply the screen width X 1.5 for your seating distance. So a 12' wide screen X 1.5 = 18' seating distance. So you're very close. It depends on the person. Are you the type that likes to sit close to the screen at the theater?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Try watching from your current setup at 10 feet back intead of 12 feet back and see what you think. This should simulate what you are proposing.

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
Thanks for the advice everyone. I used my peripheral while watching a movie with my current screen to see how much I could see without moving my head. I got between 102" wide and 107" wide from 14' (I've decided to move my seating up a few feet). I'll probably go with 104" wide @ 14'. Can anyone voice their opinions about this? I definitely want a movie theater experience which is why I'd prefer a larger screen, but I absolutely do not want fatigue. This will be in a garage so there will be no ambient light and the wall colors/fabric will be dark.

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
Jim Mcc said:
The rule of thumb with a HD projector is to multiply the screen width X 1.5 for your seating distance. So a 12' wide screen X 1.5 = 18' seating distance. So you're very close. It depends on the person. Are you the type that likes to sit close to the screen at the theater?
Based on this calculation, 112" wide screen = 14' seating distance. That sound about right?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
jsb99 said:
Based on this calculation, 112" wide screen = 14' seating distance. That sound about right?
Yes. BUT the problem you have is that projector is not bright enough for such a large screen. 120" diagonal is probably pushing it. Even with that, you'll have to use a shorter throw distance for more brightness(about 12.5' from lens to screen). That would give you 15 foot lamberts with a 120" diagonal screen. 14 foot lamberts is the recommended amount. If you're going to have only 1 row of seats, I would go with a 110" diagonal screen, and your seating distance would be about 12'. This will give you a brighter image, and it will still look good when the bulb dims.

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
Jim Mcc said:
Yes. BUT the problem you have is that projector is not bright enough for such a large screen. 120" diagonal is probably as large as I would go. Even with that, you'll have to use a shorter throw distance for more brightness(about 12' from lens to screen). That would give you 14 foot lamberts, which is the recommended brightness.
Gotcha. So, right now I've got a 112" wide screen border taped on the wall and I can have the projector as close as 15'. From a 14' seating distance the screen looks about right. In my living room (when I currently have my projector) I am sitting 13' away from my 80" wide (92" diag) screen and the projector is 18' back. I know this isn't the ideal setup but I am limited by the living environment. But, even with some of the lights on and the projector lamp in eco-mode, it's a bright and clear image. Comparatively, the garage has no windows, the walls will be very dark, and the projector will be mounted 15' from the screen. Do you think I'm still within the limits of providing a bright, clear image?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Based on the info at Projectorcentral.com the image would be too dim. With a 15' throw distance, 120" diagonal screen, you would only have 10 foot lamberts. You need to shorten the throw and/or reduce screen size. I don't know if their numbers are based on the bulb in low or high power mode. I certainly would not buy a screen until you set the projector up and try it in the garage.

jsb99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey S. Benson
I tested the 112" screen seated at 12' and the projector at 13'. The size is great (can't tell the quality because of the fake screen). I plan on having the projector mounted from the ceiling.; A couple questions about this... 1. How low can I suspend my projector (how high above our heads) without it being noticeable while maintaining a quality image? 2. I'm going to be building my own screen. As far as screening material (non perforated), what would be recommended? I know a $10,000/yard screen material is going to be great and all, but I'm hoping to keep the total screen material cost around $300. 3. Based on the distance the projector is from the screen and the size of the screen, should I get a high-contrast screen to make up for any lumens lost (if any)? 4. I looked at some 2.39 lenses for my projector (Panasonic PT-AE2000U) and they seem a bit pricey. Would it be worth it to invest in one of these and go with a 2.39 wide display? Is there any other equipment needed (besides the screen) needed to do this? What happens with this setup if the image is in 16:9 ratio? Thanks for all the advice. This is helping me make some good decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks