Would this be good to drink?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan X, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yesterday I found a bottle of wine in my Aunt's cellar. It's a 1976 Chateau Timberlay Bordeaux.

I've looked on the internet, but can't find this particular one.

Anyone know anything about it, or where to find out? Do you think it would be any good to drink? From my limited knowledge of wine, I'm under the impression that most wine is meant to be consumed not aged, but that the Bordeauxs do age well.

Anyone?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Ch. Timberlay is Classified as a Bordeaux Superieur AOC, so nothing special there. Appellation d'Origine Controllee wines are generally 'table wines', with Superieur having a higher alcohol content.

The 1976 vintage for Bordeaux was overall rated an 80 and is listed as 'Fully mature now - Drink'. For that particular wine, keeping it any longer will probably allow it to spoil rather than improve.

If it has been stored reasonably well (neck level or down, temperature kept between 55 and 65 degrees, not a lot of vibration), then go ahead and pop the cork and drink it with a steak or some roast beef.

Check for loss of product (increase in air space at the top of the bottle or red stains all the way to the top of the cork on the sides of the cork when you open it) which could indicate leakage (if wine can leak out, air can leak in).

If you get a strong musty or wet paper smell then it is corked - don't drink it. If it smells OK otherwise, have a sip to taste and then enjoy.

You could try winespectator.com for some info - google for Chateau Timberlay will give you some info about the Chateau (14th Century). Search for Bordeaux Classification for info about how the Chateau's of the area are classified.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Thanks for the info. It says 'Appellation Bordeaux Controlee" on the label. Is that the same as the 'Appellation d'Origine Controllee' you mentioned?

I'm pretty sure the bottle was stored in the cellar all this time and in a neck level/down position.

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Yes it is. Let us know how it tasted when you open it [​IMG]

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Use a coffee filter and pour the bottle into another container, this will trap any cork particles that got into the wine. If it taste like vinegar; Its bad. if it taste like wine; its good. Then enjoy (or throw it out as the case may be).

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Nice tip with the coffee filter. I'll do that.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

look close at the cork for any discoloration or mold.

Check the wine when you pour - if it is more brown than red - be cautious. (Though it does not mean it is bad for sure)

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Can it actually be dangerous to drink?