Would this be a sound quality upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by clay_w, Oct 4, 2004.

1. clay_w

clay_w Agent

I have found the TXSR502 refurb for $170, would that be a decent upgrade over my current receiver, which came in the Onkyo HT-R500 package (I believe the receiver is a TXSR500)?

I realize that the SR502 has more features but will the sound quality be any better?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Probably a very minor improvement, but not really a worthwhile one (though the price is good). I'd either save and go at least up to a 60x or 70x for a noticable upgarade, depending on your speakers.

3. clay_w

clay_w Agent

Would the TXSR601 have noticably better sound quality?

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Some reports have the 502 sounding better than the 601, even though the 601 has better DACs for the front channels. I would say that it is a "toss-up" given the speakers that you have.

The 602 would be noticably better than either of the two, due the the 602's room EQ corrections, which *can* make a big difference. But again, your speakers may be the limiting factor.

5. clay_w

clay_w Agent

I have the Polk RM6005 speakers (which being sort of a newbie, I am pretty happy with). Considering my tiny upgrade budget $250-$350 I am considering getting the SR502 and another speaker (I currently only have 5.1).

Question is, if I wanted to use my current Polk center as the rear center, could I get a better center for around $70-$80 dollars?

6. clay_w

clay_w Agent

Well, I guess that I'll be able to answer my own question...

I picked up a floor model 601 at ABC Warehouse with a 2 year warrenty for $300 today.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Clay,
    I think you made the right choice based on the specs. Unless the 502 has some superdacs and better implemented ones the amp section in the 601 should give it a very small advantage, but nowhere near significant on speakers of the 6005's size. Make sure your crossover is all the way up to 120 or 200.

8. clay_w

clay_w Agent

I can say that I am really happy with the upgrade. It does indeed make a nice difference (and I have not played with all of the settings yet...)