What's new

Would this be a good upgrade..TXDS676 to a 797????? (1 Viewer)

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a ONKYO 676 its main features to me are 85x5, 5.1 decoding, 96khz/24-bit DAC. I am looking at upgrading to the 797 which is 100x6, 6.1 decoding with a few other things that my 676 doesn't have like DPL II, and a 192khz/24-bit DAC, and it's THX certified. Would it be a worthy upgrade...it seems that it would. The speakers that I will be running are the B&W 602 (front) 601 (rear) and the cc6 (center)...and I don't have a rear center..but could add another cc6 maybe. Ohh yeah and dual SVS 39+/S1000 combo soon :D :D
Also do you NEED THX certified speakers to gain the advantage of a THX certified receiver?? What is the difference between a 96 kHz and a 192 kHz DAC?????
Thanks everyone
Mark

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Yes, that would be a pretty sweet upgrade! But be aware that Onkyo's new line of receivers is being released in April, so you may want to hold out until then. Each model seems to add significant features over this year's models for the same amount of money. You also might not have to worry about the problems that this year's digital signal processors are having with some Dolby Digital EX DVDs.
There was a thread around here somewhere discussing the new models, but it might have been lost when the server crashed last week. You should be able to find out details at www.onkyousa.com .
As far as THX-certified speakers, no you do not need THX certified speakers.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Humm ok well I was going to be able to get the 797 for 800 but now I dont know if I should wait or not. Do you know what the new line will be like???

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I think your sub upgrade will make the biggest difference. Forget the THX thing as being a reason to upgrade (and you don't need to run out and buy THX certified speakers). Having a THX processor is nice in that you can tame some of the bright DVD soundtracks but you don't have to have THX speakers to do that.

Unless you are dying to go to 6.1, I'd keep what you have and maybe add a nice 2 channel amp for the front main speakers OR just get better front mains.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that Onkyo has onkyo announced the 500 and 600, replacements of the 494 and 595. The 696 replacement will not be released for a few months after the 500 and 600. And like the 797 and 898, their replacements won't come until at the earliest late Sept or Oct. I would jsut buy it now, there isn't much that can be improved on the 797 or 898 since they got basically a new everything this year. However, Onkyo in addition to that said that the 989 will be replaces, they didn't say when.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks