What's new

Would they ever sell Oscar DVD's? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
No, this isn't about the Sylvester Stallone movie.
I'm talking about putting the Oscar's on DVD.
Would this be a big seller?
They only ones I would want are the David Lettermen hosting one, The Streaker one and the Jack Palance one.
What about anyone else?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mmmm...I'd never buy one just of ONE year's shows. Perhaps a best-of retrospective with the best acceptance speeches and other highlights from over the years, and then if and only if it also had some good informative material and was cheap enough.

But I'm still not certain I'd buy a DVD about awards for movies. I'd honestly rather buy a movie myself.

Such a thing might be better as a give-away gimmick to support a good cause or otherwise as some sort of promotion. Done well, it's something people would go out of their way to hunt down a copy of. But I somehow doubt it would sell very well as an ordinary DVD on the shelf.

It would probably be lost in the bigger shuffle of things.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'd be on this like a pack of dogs on a 3-legged cat. I've read up on all the Oscar ceremonies, and I want to see the controversies, the comedy and the over-the-top musical numbers. Basically, I want on DVD every Academy Awards ceremony inclusive from 1967 (Best picture winner: "In The Heat Of The Night") to 1992 (Best picture winner: "Unforgiven"), plus the 1999 ceremony as well (I need it for Robin Williams' reindition of "Blame Canada"). I want all the odd fashions, odder song reinditions, oddest acceptance speeches...I want to see if the Allan Carr-produced Oscars of 1989 (for the 1988 movie year) were as bad as public opinion would put it. I even have an idea vis a vis the charity concept that David Lambert put forth:

That perennial cause of charity, that will be around even after the money for the September 11th victims is fully distributed and even after we find a cure for cancer, is AIDS. If proceeds from an extras-loaded OAR box set of Academy Awards ceremonies divided up however you like it went to a charity like the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, we might have something big.

Sincerely,

John "There are people out there who'd buy it" Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I know about that one. I own it on VHS as a matter of fact. Reading that review, all I can say is: I liked the James Bond tribute (I'm assuming the reviewer is talking about Sheena Easton's performance of "For Your Eyes Only" from 1982. That was like a mini-James Bond movie in itself, complete with Richard Kiel as Jaws).

Sincerely,

John "Not really a Bond fan, but can give credit where credit is due" Kilduff...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The one Oscar moment I would truly like to see again is Charlie Chaplin's honorary Oscar in 1972 (part of the moment is recreated in the film Chaplin). I've never seen anything like it before or since. The ceremony ground to a halt for what seemed like 5 minutes while the entire auditorium stood and cheered.

M.

Sarah S

Second Unit
I'd buy dvd's of the Oscars...But I'd like the complete shows, from the Billy Crystal openings to the award for Best Picture. Best Of sets always seem to leave something out that I enjoy.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind seeing the presentations and acceptance speeches on the corresponding DVD as extras.

Sense & Sensibility has Emma Thompson's Golden Globes(?) speech, which was a nice addition. I'd go for something like that.

Butch C

Second Unit
Imagine...a 10 DVD box set of totally full of themselves, useless-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things Hollywood types sucking each others ass
!

Id rather buy a DVD that when you opened the box a gun jumped out and shoots me in the face....repeatedly.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Imagine...a 10 DVD box set of totally full of themselves, useless-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things Hollywood types sucking each others *&^%$#:
Yes...Sounds of the utmost interest to me! (But no less than a 12-DVD boxed set SE, please!) And hopefully all 23,457 commercials will also be included in the deluxe pack!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks