Would there be much differance?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I thought I had made up my mind & was getting the Monster HTPS7000 witch I can get for $650 new. Or I can get the HTS5100 for $338 also new. My trouble is just that I really will be cutting it close money wise if I spring for the 7000 so I'm thinking about getting the 5100 instead to save a little cash.

My question is would there be a significant difference between the two that would justify spending the extra few hundred.
    For what I know the main difference between the two is the 7000 has balanced power, stage five filtering where as the 5100 is stage four, & the 7000 has two more outlets that I really wouldn't need. Surge suppression is the same for both at 3145joules if I remember right,& they both have programmable outlets with switched & timed delay features.

Sorry to have to be another of those power center questions threads but, I just don't wont to get the 5100 & than regret not going with the 7000 because I later find out it would have been a much better unit.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Joe

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Joe, I feel for ya…it’s a what-do-I-need vs. what-do-I-WANT kinda decision, or what’s “sensible” or what’s “nice” to have.

I see the HTS7000 as MonsterPower’s fully-loaded SUV of surge protectors – all the cruise control goodies AND balanced power. A lot of us are still on the fence over balanced power. It’s said to be an electrical path using a transformer with a center tap that removes much electrical garbage that may be in the external, power grid as well as generated within the home wiring system. In plain language, it’s said to greatly reduce the “noise floor” through common mode noise rejection.

Myself, I don’t think I have a noise floor intrusion in my system. But it’s not easy to get one of these BP units to test if there’s much “improvement.”

But seeing the nearly half price you say you can get, the 7000 looks very attractive. MonsterPower went to an outside audio designer – Richard Marsh – several years ago for this unit and its cousins, incl the 5100. Marsh Sound Design sells the identical units under his badge, prob. more than Monster’s list!

Either unit wud be a solid HT power center. If you itch for the "latest best thing," go for the 7000, especially if you tend to be picky over your audio system. If the system sounds good to you now, you cud be satisfied with the 5100.

Let us know…

bill

3. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

i agree with bill on one very important point....it is hard to detect noise in your system....unless you live next to a neon billboard, etc.....
    the surge protection that monster power offers is ok...not up to better offerings out there from brickwall and surge-x....
    monter power does an ok job...but like their cables probably overpriced for the actual performance...IMHO
    russ
    www.surge-x.com

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think Bill hit it on the head. Joe, I'd sit down with what my list of requirements are and if it's monster you're leaning towards, then by all means go that way. Panamax is also a consideration. Either way I'd be looking for a very consumer friendly return policy should any unit not meet your needs. Out of curiousity, have you or any of your neighbors experienced losses due to lightning related issues?
    FYI, something that reduces noise by 20dB translates to approximately a 99% reduction.

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Chu, I haven't heard of anyone in my neighbored that has suffered lighting damage but, I do know of several people close to my area that have. Lighting protection is a concern for me but not my biggest as I usually unplug everything anyway if we have a storm close by that I feel is a threat.

Also you said: Something that reduces noise by 20db translates into approximately a 99% reduction. I'm don't quite understand what you mean by this?

I have considered other products other than Monster but at the prices I can get them for at 45 to 60% off retail brand new with full warranty & all just as if I was a regular customer I didn't think I could go wrong.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

all I meant by that Joe was that often one sees 'specs' on equipment (OK, Monster's specs are harder to come by!) that have to do with EMI/RFI attenuation. I believe the units you're considering toss that in as part of their selling point. i provided the info just in case you were curious. maybe information overload?