Would the Yamaha HTR-5950BL be to much power for the Klipsch

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dean L, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

This week Best Buy is offering the Klipsch Quintet III 5 piece speaker system (fronts, center, rears) for free, if your reciever, sub, speaker purchase totals $699 or more.
    I went and listened to them today teamed with the Klipsch Sub-10 and it sounded pretty damn impressive.
    ANyway, my bro-in law just asked me to recomended him a decent surround system, (reciever/sub/sat) so I mentioned this to him (all totaling in the $800 range) and thought the Yamaha HTR-5950BL would be a good match along with the Klipsch Sub-10. A terrific deal, not to mention getting the 5 Klipsch speakers that sell for $479 tossed in for free!

Anyway I just saw the Klipsch RMS power handling is only 50 watts, and the Yamaha outputs 110 watts RMS. I know, having too little power does more damage than too much power, but will the Yamaha fry the Klipsch's at all?
    I wouldn't think so, with a high crossover setting the Yamaha would not put out nearly its rated power, but wanna know what you all think.

Would appreciate it

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No. As you already (apparently) are aware, too much power is not a problem. Just keep the volume reasonable, which will be pretty easy for speakers as sensitive as klipsch. You can always damage things by turning the volume up too high, but you'll be able to go louder better with too much power than too little.

3. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Thats what I thought,
    just wanted to make sure so i didn't steer him wrong,
    thanks!